Getting Data In
Highlighted

Event Tagging - Auto Tag or Lookup

Explorer

Would like to have the hosts/sources tagged as they are implemented into the system rather than have to go through after the fact and select the specific hosts and then tag them at that time.

I am wondering if anyone has written any scripting into Splunk that identifies a source from a lookup file or something similar and then populates the correct .conf file necessary.

Thanks in advance

Answered -

Generally, I would recommend using lookup tables (which operate on CSV files, which can be easily generated) rather than tags for something like this.

Question - How would we implement the above answer? I am not sure what they are referring to using lookup tables as opposed to tagging?

Thanks again

Tags (2)
Highlighted

Re: Event Tagging - Auto Tag or Lookup

Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Generally, I would recommend using lookup tables (which operate on CSV files, which can be easily generated) rather than tags for something like this.

Highlighted

Explorer

Can you explain or elaborate on the above comment please? If it will work in the same method I am all for it?

0 Karma
Highlighted

Motivator

You can use a lookup table with tags for your different host names.

For example, if you had a CSV table like this:

host,host_tag
HostA,webserver
HostB,webserver
HostC,sqlserver
HostD,domaincontroller

You could then create a lookup in splunk like the following:

transforms.conf:

[hostlookup]
filename = mylookupfile.csv

and props.conf:

[host::*]
lookup_hostlookup = hostlookup host OUTPUTNEW host_tag

Now what this will do, is that every search you run, for every event's host field splunk will look in your CSV table for the corresponding host_tag and output it as a new field. This also means that you could do a search like the following:

host_tag=webserver

and it would return events from HostA and HostB.

The lookup table is easy to update and keep current, a lot easier than working with a lot of Splunk tags.

Post a comment if you have any questions.