Getting Data In

Event Log Subscription Server: Splunk could not get the description for this event. Either the component that raises thi

mooree
Path Finder

We recently moved our windows event log service up to Windows 2016 and Splunk 9.0.1 and all Security Auditing events are coming through with the message

Message=Splunk could not get the description for this event. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupt.

The Event data looks like this: the data is present but not the usual field descriptions that allows Splunk to work out the structure. 

Screenshot 2022-10-25 102527.png

There are many posts, they all date from over 2 years ago, and all refer back to a master post from 2014, (https://community.splunk.com/t5/Getting-Data-In/quot-FormatMessage-error-quot-appears-in-indexed-mes... ) that doesn’t appear to be for current versions of Windows. I have however followed the broad advice in here:

• Checked the registry keys – they match the old server
  • Started Splunk after the event log service (I tried stopping and starting Splunk on a running host to mimic).
  • Confirmed that the event format is set to Events.

HF is Splunk 9.0.1 / Windows 2016 version 1607 Build 14393.5427 / Splunk Cloud is Version:9.0.2208.3

Labels (2)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...