Getting Data In

Event Generator

mha_it_network

Hi,

Is there a free event/log generator for Windows avalable that i can use to emulate firewalls, database e.t.c.

I am trying to get in sample data into splunk

I would very much appreciate some assistance

Tags (1)
0 Karma

Wilcooley
Path Finder

There is eventgen, which was extracted from one of the official Splunk apps. I'm not sure why it isn't included in SplunkBase.

rwigand

just saw your post. Maybe the built-in command "eventcreate" under Windows is what you are looking for? It ships with newer Windows versions and generates eventlog entries from commandline. So if you build a loop around it it may be able to fill your eventlog with errors. here is an example:

eventcreate /T ERROR /ID 4711 /L APPLICATION /D "This is a demo error!"

or:

eventcreate /T WARNING /ID 4712 /L SYSTEM /D "just a warning in the system log"

0 Karma

crt89
Communicator

Thanks for the information @rwigand. I was also looking for this and made a script out of your comment.

0 Karma

kallu
Communicator

If you just want to setup a Splunk demo, maybe sampledata.zip from Splunk tutorial could do? It's not Windows nor firewall or db logs, but on a plus side you get ready-made use-cases for you demo from tutorial with minimal effort. Link to sampledata.zip is at http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Tutorial/GetthesampledataintoSplunk

If you really want to generate logs (ie simulate) for network devices then you should take a look at http://www.gns3.net/

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...