Getting Data In

ESXi Hosts logs are not forwarding to Splunk

deepak_negi02

Hi,

I am trying to get the logs from ESXi hosts to Splunk without using the vmware app. There is no intermediate syslog server on which I can install the forwarder. So I had tried to configure the logs forwarding via esxi hosts advance settings option where we I had provided the IP address of my Splunk server and port tcp1514. Somehow I am still not receiving the logs.

Any suggestion how to get the logs? http://wiki.splunk.com/Community:VMwareESXSyslog ...gone through this link and did the same like mentioned before under advance configuration setting of esxi hosts. Any other approach or what mistake i am doing?

0 Karma

damode
Motivator

Hi @deepak_negi02, were you able to make this finally work ? I am facing this same issue.
I have configured port 1515 udp on Splunk for esx syslog using the above method.

0 Karma

kserra_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Make sure you have the following

• An inputs.conf setup to receive on tcp 1514 on the receiving side
  • An index to which this data will be sent to on the indexer along with any sourcetype definitions for this data
  • May want to run a packet capture on port 1514 to make sure the traffic is actually getting to receiver.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...