I created a new development search head from a different splunk instances. I changed the name of the new dev server in the server.conf and setup distributed search to my 6.x and 4.x indexers. Later I noticed that the log files were still showing up with the first dev server as the host name. I noticed the host name was different in the GUI under splunk>settings>general settings>server settings
I changed the "Splunk Server Name" and the "Default host name" and restarted splunkd.
This broke the distributed search. I setup the distributed search easily to the 6.x servers but can not reconnect to the 4.x systems. I removed the dev search head folder from "$splunk/etc/auth/distServerKeys" but still can not reconnect.
Any ideas would be helpful.
Please don't judge about being on 4.3. I'm working as fast as the company will allow to move to 6.x
Thanks @ppablo for editing this question. I see the new tags but I couldn't see what else needed changing. Anyway I can see that more than 50 splunkers have looked at the question but no-one had any suggestions yet. Thanks for the help
No problem, it didn't need much editing really, just the tags. This is a useful question as I'm sure many others are in your situation with backwards compatibility issues. I was reading the 6.2 documentation that @Muryoutaisuu provided in their answer below and read this line directly from that page:
"6.x search heads are compatible with 6.x and 5.x search peers."
Since there's no mention of 4.x search peers in that line, I'm assuming that's what your issue is, but hopefully the support ticket you opened will get you a more concrete answer. Once you get your case resolved, it'd be great if you can share that information on this post for others to see 🙂
I couldn't find any up-to-date (v 6.2) documentation, but I found this:
A 6.x search head is compatible with a 5.x search peer.
As it doesn't mention 4.x search peers, they might be out of version compatibility. But I don't know for sure.
Actually found the new documentation: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.2.0/DistSearch/Distsearchsystemrequirements
But still doesn't mention 4.x search peers.
Thanks for putting the links to the documents for me.
As I stated above this was working and then when I made the change it stopped working. I have other 6.2 search heads and they are working with the 4.3 indexers as well as the 6.2 indexers. I know that they are compatible I just don't know why this one stopped working. I sent a diag to support so they can look at the logs.
This seems to have something to do with the 6.2 version but no one can tell me what. I did find a workaround but would not recommend this to anyone.
I was able to down grade my search head to 6.1.x and from there I was able to connect the 4.x indexers as well as the 6.x indexers. After connecting all the indexers I was able to upgrade to 6.2 and keep the connections. We will have all systems at 6.2 soon so this will not be an issue. If your standing up a 6.2 system and want to connect to your 4.x indexers you can not do it. you will have to stand up the Search head as 6.1.X or lower then connect the indexers then upgrade to 6.2. OR just upgrade the indexers to 6.2 🙂
Hello there guys,
I'm able to run a 6.0 search head to 4.3.3 peers and data displays fine for me now.
Though 6.2 search head upgrade -- I haven't tried that out yet and I'm still testing. update you in a while 😉