Getting Data In

Distinct delimiters for same input

seomaniv
Explorer

I have a dashboard that takes 3 inputs. (TimePicker, Associate, and Activity).

All items (inputs and dash panels) update based on the TimePicker, no problem.

The activity is only ever a single option (dropdown). However, the Associate is a series of checkboxes. For the dash panel, it is a simple delimiter of " OR Associate="

The problem is that the Activity dropdown also has to update based on the Associates picked, and the delimiter for the dropdown query would be different than the delimiter for the dash panel (much more complicated with a nested eval). I do not see a way to have a different delimiter - is there a way?

If not, I wonder if there is a way I can use the selections from one input to populate a second input with a different delimiter?

0 Karma

anmolpatel
Builder

@seomaniv can you please provide a sample on how the changes are to take place based on selection.

0 Karma

seomaniv
Explorer

So the dashboard's Associate panel has a query like:

index/source/host | 
search Associate="$associate$" | 
stats sum(hoursWorked) as "Hours Worked" by Associate

With a delimiter of:

" OR Associate=" 

If I select associates "Fred" "George" and "Ron" I would end up with a query of:

index/source/host | 
search Associate="Fred" OR Associate="George" OR Associate="Ron" | 
stats sum(hoursWorked) as "Hours Worked" by Associate

and I get a table comparing the number of hours each associate worked in the time period chosen by the time picker. However, the Activity dropdown needs to limit "hours worked" to activities that all the chosen associates have participated in during that time period, so it has a nested search:

index/source/etc. | 
sort ActivityType | dedup ActivityType | 
eval thisActivity=if(ActivityType in [search index/source/etc. | 
sort ActivityType | dedup ActivityType],ActivityType,"SESSION") | 
search ActivityType!="SESSION"

and in order to work then the delimiter needs to be a nested eval search:

" | 
sort ActivityType | dedup ActivityType],ActivityType,"SESSION") | 
eval thisActivity=if(ActivityType in [search index/source/host | 
search ActivityType!="SESSION" | 
search Associate="

Either one of these works independently, but I can't do both at the same time. I COULD make a separate input, but then the user would have to choose the "Associates" twice, and aside from being annoying, that can lead to them being inconsistent.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...