Getting Data In

Detect/handle parsing error and log format change

ikulcsar
Communicator

Hi,

I have been asked about log parsing and parser error detection in Splunk.

The questions are: In general
- how can and should I detect parsing errors in Splunk? (New version of log source, etc without notification to Splunk admin, etc)
- how should I handle the new log format? There are already data in the index with the old source type. If I modify the sourcetype definitions, it will break the search time field extraction, is it? Clone and modify the source type?

I don't find a guide or best practice in the docs...

Thanks,
István

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi ikulcsar,
to answer to your questions:

1. you could detect parsing errors identifing, for each sourcetype) one or more fields with controlling values (e.g.: two or three fields with a limited number of values) that you can store in one or more lookups and periodically (e.g. one time a day) check; in other words you have identify a field, put all the correct values in a lookup and check if there are more values than the lookup, if there are maybe there's a parsing error to manually check.
  2. to check new sourcetypes, you could use the same method (put all the correct sourcetypes in a lookup an run a search).
  3. to handle the modified sourcetypes you could follow different solutions depending by your situation: a. create a new sourcetype for the modified logs and manage the situation using eventtypes (it's a good practice use eventypes in searches), b. modify extracted fields managing the new and old versions using coalesce funtion; in other words, for each field you maintain the old field extraction, you create a new one and you create a calculated field rule (eval my_field=coalesce(new_field,my_field) to manage the presence of two versions of the same field.

I hope to be helpful for you.

Bye.
Giuseppe

View solution in original post

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi ikulcsar,
to answer to your questions:

1. you could detect parsing errors identifing, for each sourcetype) one or more fields with controlling values (e.g.: two or three fields with a limited number of values) that you can store in one or more lookups and periodically (e.g. one time a day) check; in other words you have identify a field, put all the correct values in a lookup and check if there are more values than the lookup, if there are maybe there's a parsing error to manually check.
  2. to check new sourcetypes, you could use the same method (put all the correct sourcetypes in a lookup an run a search).
  3. to handle the modified sourcetypes you could follow different solutions depending by your situation: a. create a new sourcetype for the modified logs and manage the situation using eventtypes (it's a good practice use eventypes in searches), b. modify extracted fields managing the new and old versions using coalesce funtion; in other words, for each field you maintain the old field extraction, you create a new one and you create a calculated field rule (eval my_field=coalesce(new_field,my_field) to manage the presence of two versions of the same field.

I hope to be helpful for you.

Bye.
Giuseppe

0 Karma

ikulcsar
Communicator

Hi Giuseppe,

Thank you, we will try this tips.

Regards,
István

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...