Getting Data In

Delete an old host from hostlist

Michael0

I want to completely delete a host from splunk, because the host is no longer existing in my environment.
I dont need any data from this host, so I can clean up some space on the splunk server hard disk.

Is this possible via GUI or CLI?

Thank you
regards
Michael

Tags (3)
0 Karma

yannK
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

No you cannot remove the events from a particular host to make space in the indexes.
Because the data is stored in buckets (lowest unit of storage based on the time) and you will have to delete the bucket to make space, this means potentially data from other hosts also stored in the same bucket.

You will have to wait for your time/size retention rules to kick in in order to make space, indistinctly of the host.
The partial alternative is to use the "|delete" command, that will hide the events, not save any disk space.

MuS
Legend

This would be related to the metadata still available for this host. When your deleted data (buckets) gets frozen/deleted, this host will no longer be listed.
As @yannK wrote, you can manually delete buckets but this is potentially dangerous.

0 Karma

Michael0

I have already used the | delete option to hide the unwanted logs.
But what I want is also to delete the host from the hostlist, because the host is already decommissioned.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...