Getting Data In

Data Ingest issues

ChristianF
Explorer

Howdy Splunkers,

Working on my Splunk deployment and ran into a funky issue. I am ingesting Palo Alto FW and Meraki network device logs via syslog server. Rsyslog is set to write logs down to a file and the UF is set to monitor the directories.

No issues there, however I do run into an issue why I try to source type or set an index for these logs. I have edited the indexes.conf in the local folder on my cluster manager and pushed the required indexes to my indexers.  When I go to search for the logs on my search head I cannot find any data. However it works properly whenever i do not have sourcetyping and index destination in my inputs.conf.

Any idea as to why?

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ChristianF
Explorer

I actually ended up resolving the issue myself, I didn't have my indexes.conf file on my search head which didn't allow me to see the data on my cluster.

View solution in original post

Manojbh_splunk
Loves-to-Learn

Are you monitoring the path where the logs are written in the UF.

can you share your inputs.conf ? this will help you check further.

0 Karma

ChristianF
Explorer

I actually ended up resolving the issue myself, I didn't have my indexes.conf file on my search head which didn't allow me to see the data on my cluster.

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Lack of indexes.conf on SH results only in lack of auto-completion in the search edit window. You still can manually write which index you want to search and it works.

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

We need more info. Especially relevant configs.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...