Getting Data In

DBX MSSQL Cannot Connect

chrisboy68
Contributor

Hi,

I have been struggling trying to get DBX connected to an MSSQL DB. There is no named instance:

In database.conf,
database = SERVERNAME/DB

If I use the host name for the default instance name, I get:
Error while executing command: Error getting database connection: Server SERVERNAME has no instance named SERVERNAM.

So this tells me a connection is trying to be made to the DB. So, then I change the conf, just to list the DB.
IE:
database = DB

When I do this, it just hangs and timesout.

Anyone know the correct syntax to connect to a MS DB w/out a Named Instance? I have an ODBC Data Source working fine on this DB, so I know my credentials are fine and the Server Name.

Thank you!

Chris

Tags (3)

miteshvohra
Contributor

One of the line in the message log reads "Connection refused.". Check:
1. MSSQL is set to use SQL Authentication.
2. JAVA_HOME is auto-detected by the app while setting it up after installation.
3. If using DBX 1.1.7, use jre7u or jre8u45 for DBX 2.0.x

Pls share what OS/SQLver/JREv are you have in your setup.

Mitesh.

chrisboy68
Contributor

Bump

Any ideas? Nothing is working with this client. As I stated other JDBC clients work fine.

Thank you,

Chris

0 Karma

chrisboy68
Contributor

Hi, been struggling to get DBX to connect to an MSSQL DB. I did install a JDBC tool directly on the splunk server just to verify my credentials or JDBC was an issue, all worked out fine.

I have debug running, here is a portion of the DBX Log:

2015-02-17 12:29:55.780 dbx4915:DEBUG:Database - Connecting to database database
2015-02-17 12:29:55.780 dbx4915:DEBUG:MicrosoftSqlServer - Using MSSQL windows authentication with domain=FOO username=myusername
2015-02-17 12:29:55.780 dbx4915:DEBUG:MicrosoftSqlServer - Connecting to database=MicrosoftSqlServer using JDBC url=jdbc:jtds:sqlserver://myserver:1443/master;domain=NAM;ssl=request;appName=Splunk;progName=Splunk
2015-02-17 12:29:55.888 dbx4915:INFO:BridgeSession - Caught Exit exception: JavaBridgeExitException{status=1}

Here is a portion of the jbridge_cleint.log:

2015-02-17 12:29:08,821 ERROR spp.dbx.javabridge Error while executing bridge command: Connection to Java bridge server 127.0.0.1:17865 failed: [Errno 61] Connection refused
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/Applications/Splunk/etc/apps/dbx/bin/spp/java/bridge.py", line 84, in execute
"Connection to Java bridge server %s:%s failed: %s" % (self.bridgeHost, self.bridgePort, e))
JavaBridgeError: Connection to Java bridge server 127.0.0.1:17865 failed: [Errno 61] Connection refused

2015-02-17 12:29:27,776 DEBUG spp.dbx.javabridge Executing java bridge command com.splunk.bridge.stats.SystemStatus [()]
2015-02-17 12:29:55,775 DEBUG spp.dbx.javabridge Executing java bridge command com.splunk.dbx.sql.validate.DatabaseValidator [('isolation_level=DATABASE_SETTING', 'database=master', 'readonly=0', 'type=mssql', 'host=myserver', 'arguments=domain=FOO;', 'validate=1', 'port=1443', 'password=mypw', 'username=myuserid')]

It appears that its not even hitting the DB and the javabridge is refusing the connection. I played with the JDBC connections and nothing made a difference.

Javabridge is up and running, below is from the status page.
Uptime: 0 days 00:57:08
Memory: TOTAL=61.50 MB MAX=228.00 MB FREE=38.52 MB (37% used)

App: dbx version 1.1.6 build 244830
Splunk environment: SplunkEnvironment{SPLUNK_HOME=/Applications/Splunk,SPLUNK_DB=/Applications/Splunk/var/lib/splunk}
Splunk version: 6.2.1 build 245427
Java: version: 1.8.0_31 vendor: Oracle Corporation JAVA_HOME: /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home

Status for Splunkd{host='9', sessionKey='**********************HL_A'} (com.splunk.rest.Splunkd)
Splunkd REST connection with sessionKey=
******************HL_A (VALID) requests=20

Status for Pooled database factory (com.splunk.dbx.sql.factory.PooledConnectionFactory)
Loaded databases:
Database{name='eErrors', databaseType=com.splunk.dbx.sql.type.impl.MicrosoftSqlServer@3943a2be, host='mydb', port=1443, username='myusername', database='master'}
Pool: GenericKeyedObjectPool{active=0, idle=0, maxActive=15, maxIdle=5}

Status for DatabaseMonitoringManager (com.splunk.dbx.monitor.DatabaseMonitoringManager)
Inputs:

Status for JavaBridgeServer (com.splunk.bridge.JavaBridgeServer)
listening on 127.0.0.1:17865 running=true executedSessions=2

Status for ProcessWatcher (com.splunk.bridge.JavaBridgeServer$ProcessWatcher)
Watching pid file: /Applications/Splunk/var/run/splunk/dbx/dbx.lock with pid=74544 failures=0

I'm stumped. Any ideas?

Chris

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Let’s Talk Terraform

If you’re beyond the first-weeks-of-a-startup stage, chances are your application’s architecture is pretty ...

Cloud Platform | Customer Change Announcement: Email Notification is Available For ...

The Notification Team is migrating our email service provider. As the rollout progresses, Splunk has enabled ...

Save the Date: GovSummit Returns Wednesday, December 11th!

Hey there, Splunk Community! Exciting news: Splunk’s GovSummit 2024 is returning to Washington, D.C. on ...