Getting Data In

DBX MSSQL Cannot Connect

chrisboy68
Contributor

Hi,

I have been struggling trying to get DBX connected to an MSSQL DB. There is no named instance:

In database.conf,
database = SERVERNAME/DB

If I use the host name for the default instance name, I get:
Error while executing command: Error getting database connection: Server SERVERNAME has no instance named SERVERNAM.

So this tells me a connection is trying to be made to the DB. So, then I change the conf, just to list the DB.
IE:
database = DB

When I do this, it just hangs and timesout.

Anyone know the correct syntax to connect to a MS DB w/out a Named Instance? I have an ODBC Data Source working fine on this DB, so I know my credentials are fine and the Server Name.

Thank you!

Chris

Tags (3)

miteshvohra
Contributor

One of the line in the message log reads "Connection refused.". Check:
1. MSSQL is set to use SQL Authentication.
2. JAVA_HOME is auto-detected by the app while setting it up after installation.
3. If using DBX 1.1.7, use jre7u or jre8u45 for DBX 2.0.x

Pls share what OS/SQLver/JREv are you have in your setup.

Mitesh.

chrisboy68
Contributor

Bump

Any ideas? Nothing is working with this client. As I stated other JDBC clients work fine.

Thank you,

Chris

0 Karma

chrisboy68
Contributor

Hi, been struggling to get DBX to connect to an MSSQL DB. I did install a JDBC tool directly on the splunk server just to verify my credentials or JDBC was an issue, all worked out fine.

I have debug running, here is a portion of the DBX Log:

2015-02-17 12:29:55.780 dbx4915:DEBUG:Database - Connecting to database database
2015-02-17 12:29:55.780 dbx4915:DEBUG:MicrosoftSqlServer - Using MSSQL windows authentication with domain=FOO username=myusername
2015-02-17 12:29:55.780 dbx4915:DEBUG:MicrosoftSqlServer - Connecting to database=MicrosoftSqlServer using JDBC url=jdbc:jtds:sqlserver://myserver:1443/master;domain=NAM;ssl=request;appName=Splunk;progName=Splunk
2015-02-17 12:29:55.888 dbx4915:INFO:BridgeSession - Caught Exit exception: JavaBridgeExitException{status=1}

Here is a portion of the jbridge_cleint.log:

2015-02-17 12:29:08,821 ERROR spp.dbx.javabridge Error while executing bridge command: Connection to Java bridge server 127.0.0.1:17865 failed: [Errno 61] Connection refused
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/Applications/Splunk/etc/apps/dbx/bin/spp/java/bridge.py", line 84, in execute
"Connection to Java bridge server %s:%s failed: %s" % (self.bridgeHost, self.bridgePort, e))
JavaBridgeError: Connection to Java bridge server 127.0.0.1:17865 failed: [Errno 61] Connection refused

2015-02-17 12:29:27,776 DEBUG spp.dbx.javabridge Executing java bridge command com.splunk.bridge.stats.SystemStatus [()]
2015-02-17 12:29:55,775 DEBUG spp.dbx.javabridge Executing java bridge command com.splunk.dbx.sql.validate.DatabaseValidator [('isolation_level=DATABASE_SETTING', 'database=master', 'readonly=0', 'type=mssql', 'host=myserver', 'arguments=domain=FOO;', 'validate=1', 'port=1443', 'password=mypw', 'username=myuserid')]

It appears that its not even hitting the DB and the javabridge is refusing the connection. I played with the JDBC connections and nothing made a difference.

Javabridge is up and running, below is from the status page.
Uptime: 0 days 00:57:08
Memory: TOTAL=61.50 MB MAX=228.00 MB FREE=38.52 MB (37% used)

App: dbx version 1.1.6 build 244830
Splunk environment: SplunkEnvironment{SPLUNK_HOME=/Applications/Splunk,SPLUNK_DB=/Applications/Splunk/var/lib/splunk}
Splunk version: 6.2.1 build 245427
Java: version: 1.8.0_31 vendor: Oracle Corporation JAVA_HOME: /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home

Status for Splunkd{host='9', sessionKey='**********************HL_A'} (com.splunk.rest.Splunkd)
Splunkd REST connection with sessionKey=
******************HL_A (VALID) requests=20

Status for Pooled database factory (com.splunk.dbx.sql.factory.PooledConnectionFactory)
Loaded databases:
Database{name='eErrors', databaseType=com.splunk.dbx.sql.type.impl.MicrosoftSqlServer@3943a2be, host='mydb', port=1443, username='myusername', database='master'}
Pool: GenericKeyedObjectPool{active=0, idle=0, maxActive=15, maxIdle=5}

Status for DatabaseMonitoringManager (com.splunk.dbx.monitor.DatabaseMonitoringManager)
Inputs:

Status for JavaBridgeServer (com.splunk.bridge.JavaBridgeServer)
listening on 127.0.0.1:17865 running=true executedSessions=2

Status for ProcessWatcher (com.splunk.bridge.JavaBridgeServer$ProcessWatcher)
Watching pid file: /Applications/Splunk/var/run/splunk/dbx/dbx.lock with pid=74544 failures=0

I'm stumped. Any ideas?

Chris

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...