Getting Data In

Custom Attribute Retrieval in VMware App (Add-on for VMware Metrics)

CharlyB
Engager
Assistance with Custom Attribute Retrieval in VMware App for Splunk
Hello everyone,
I'm currently working on integrating custom attributes from VMware into Splunk ITSI using the Splunk Add-on for VMware Metrics.
The standard functionality of the add-on doesn't seem to support custom attribute retrieval out-of-the-box and I need a "TechnicalService" custom attribute for an entity split.

To tackle this, I am looking into extending the existing add-on scripts, particularly focusing on the CustomFieldsManager within the VMware API.

I've explored the inventory_handlers.py, inventory.py, and mo.py scripts within the add-on and found a potential pathway through the CustomFieldsManager class in mo.py.
However, I'd appreciate any insights or guidance from those who have tackled similar integrations or extensions.

Specifically, I'm interested in:
  1. Best practices for extending the add-on to include custom attributes without affecting its core functionalities.
  2. Any known challenges or pitfalls in modifying these scripts for custom attribute integration.
  3. Advice on testing and validation to ensure stable and efficient operation post-modification.
I'm open to suggestions, alternative approaches, or any resources that might be helpful in this context.

Thank you in advance for your assistance and insights!
kind regards,
Charly
Labels (2)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...