Getting Data In
Highlighted

Creating new events via REST receivers endpoint

Communicator

Whenever i want to create new events via REST receivers endpoint, can i create new fields and set their values for the fields??

0 Karma
Highlighted

Re: Creating new events via REST receivers endpoint

Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You can add fields in the data in key=value pairs and they will be extracted automatically.

See also the docs on the receivers endpoint

0 Karma
Highlighted

Communicator

Are you sure? It didn't work.
I appended the key value pairs in the REST API endpoint url. I appended the source and sourcetype and they appear during the search, but not the additional fields that i created.

0 Karma
Highlighted

Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I mean in the same place the data of the event is sent, not as extra parameters

0 Karma
Highlighted

Ultra Champion

If you format the content of your log message using key=value pairs, then Splunk will automatically extract these at search time. This log message gets sent in the body of the REST HTTP Request.

The url argument key=value pairs are for defining Splunk meta data fields(index, source, sourcetype, host, host_regex)

The Splunk Java Logging Framework provides a useful interface to make it easier to create best practice log messages and integrate with your preferred logging framework ie: there are log4j, logback appenders that will seamlessly handle logging to the SPLUNK RestEndpoint. Download it and look at the examples.

Highlighted

Communicator

Is it necessary to format the log message using the Splunk logging framework?

0 Karma
Highlighted

Ultra Champion

No, it is simply a framework to make it easier for you.

0 Karma
Highlighted

Communicator

What are the other ways to format the log message?

0 Karma
Highlighted

Legend

You could format it any way you want. Splunk only extracts keys and values automatically if they follow the key=value standard, but if you format it differently it's just a matter of creating field extractions for your specific log format instead.

0 Karma
Highlighted

Communicator

I have been looking through logback and i would like to ask for the log message formatted with key=value pairs, they are sent to the Splunk endpoint by socket appenders. Is that right?

0 Karma