i would like to document and control my splunk deployment configuration,

do you have some idea on how to get a table on wich i would get

Index | sourcetype | serverclass

Regards,

0 Karma

diogofgm
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

with the following search you can get information about you inputs: index | sourcetype | app (where the input config is)

| rest https://localhost:8089/services/data/inputs/all | table index, sourcetype, eai:acl.app

This should give you a rough idea about the origin.
I haven't been able to test it further but with the following you might be able to get the app/ serverclass relation:

| rest https://localhost:8089/services/deployment/client/config

check the fields eai:acl.app and title for the relation

------------
Hope I was able to help you. If so, some karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

diogofgm
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This shows the serverclasses per app but i not sure if it can be used on any splunk instance other than the deployment server
| rest https://localhost:8089/services/deployment/server/applications | table title, serverclasses

------------
Hope I was able to help you. If so, some karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

markthompson
Builder

Can you explain in a bit more detail? I'm struggling to understand what you want to table.

0 Karma

Ed_Alias
Path Finder

well, i would like to be able to know in indexes, what are the sourcetypes and who put data in these sourcetypes(by servevclasses).

by doing that i can control my serverclasses are working and up to date with what i want

0 Karma

Ed_Alias
Path Finder

what configuration is responsible for writing in a particuliar sourcetype

0 Karma

markthompson
Builder

Have you tried looking at metadata, you can use that to list sourcetypes etc?

0 Karma

Ed_Alias
Path Finder

i got that seach from splunk answer :

| eventcount summarize=false index=* index=_* | dedup index | fields index
| map maxsearches=100 search="|metadata type=sourcetypes index=\"$index$\" | eval index=\"$index$\""
| fields index sourcetype

wich list index | sourcetype

so now i need to know who puts data in a sourcetype..

0 Karma

vinodmadaan
Path Finder

Hi Ed,

From what I know the sourcetype is the path from which the data is taken, I mean if splunk is taking the data from xyz.logs then source type is the path of this log file.

So to answer the question of who puts the data in source type: it is the server or the application creating the logs puts the data in the source type.

I guess I am answering what you are asking, please let me know if I am going out of the track.

0 Karma

markthompson
Builder

Vinod I believe what Ed is trying to achieve is to list it in his map, not to have an answer to the question.

0 Karma

Ed_Alias
Path Finder

ok but you missunderstand me, the application creates logs it is not responsible for putting it in splunk.

it is the sourcetype and the deployed splunk application wich retrieve the application's logs and put it in a particuliar sourcetype .

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...