Getting Data In

Configure different index time transformations for different outputs | Heavy Forwarder

GaetanVP
Contributor

Hello Splunker,

I'm currently working on a new use case and need some helps 

I'm working on a HF receiving Microsoft Cloud Logs (with https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/AddOns/released/MSCloudServices) and I would like to forwards those logs to two differents TCP output (Splunk indexers), one with some fields anonymized, and the other without any index time transformation.

Here is a schema to help you understand my problem :

GaetanVP_0-1656334535271.png

My thoughts :
I currently have a inputs.conf configured on my HF to receive the logs from MS Cloud (with sourcetype set to mscs:azure:eventhub, I think it's compulsory to keep this sourcetype)
Then I created props.conf & transforms.conf but should I put two TRANSFORMS-<class> in order to have two differents transforms depending on the destination ?

My props.conf :
[mscs:azure:eventhub]
TRANSFORMS-anonymize = user-anonymizer

My transforms.conf :
[user-anonymizer]
REGEX = ^(.*?)"\[{\\"UserName\\":[^,]*(.*)
FORMAT = $1"###"$2
DEST_KEY = _raw

Thanks a lot,
Gaétan

0 Karma
1 Solution

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You could use CLONE_SOURCETYPE to do a "copy" of your event. It would have to work something like that.

1. Your input provides splunk with an event of a sourcetype - let's say - microsoft:cloud

2. You do a CLONE_SOURCETYPE to a temporary:sourcetype

3a. The microsoft:cloud event goes through all the normal ingest steps and you route it to output1 (or simply don't touch anything if it's your default output

3b. The temporary:sourcetype gets reinserted into the queue, passes all appropriate transforms and at the end is routed to output2 and you rewrite the sourcetype field back to microsoft:cloud.

View solution in original post

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You could use CLONE_SOURCETYPE to do a "copy" of your event. It would have to work something like that.

1. Your input provides splunk with an event of a sourcetype - let's say - microsoft:cloud

2. You do a CLONE_SOURCETYPE to a temporary:sourcetype

3a. The microsoft:cloud event goes through all the normal ingest steps and you route it to output1 (or simply don't touch anything if it's your default output

3b. The temporary:sourcetype gets reinserted into the queue, passes all appropriate transforms and at the end is routed to output2 and you rewrite the sourcetype field back to microsoft:cloud.

GaetanVP
Contributor

Hello PickleRick, thanks for the answer!

I followed your instructions and it does the job! 
Thanks again

0 Karma

Azeemering
Builder

Why don't you just anonymize data on index time using SEDCMD?

Anonymize data - Splunk Documentation

Create a an anon app on the indexer that you want the data anonymized and put in the props.conf

in props.conf

[mscs:azure:eventhub]
SEDCMD-user_anon =  ^(.*?)"\[{\\"UserName\\":[^,]*(.*)  

GaetanVP
Contributor

Hello Azeemering,  thanks for your answer!

The thing is I need to be sure that the events that leave the HF are already anonymized for compliance reason. And I don't have access to the indexer pool n°2.

Regarding SEDCMD or regular expression is equivalent if I'm not mistaken.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...