Getting Data In

Change index at index time (chained UFs)

danbrook
Explorer

I am collecting Windows Event Logs via either a Windows Event Collector or directly from each Windows server (with a Splunk UF installed). I am then using an intermediate forwarder to send to our indexers. This is due to network setup and location of the servers.

I have custom metadata that the intermediate forwarder is adding to identify where the logs are coming from and use in the index name.

The problem I am having is that the Windows Event Logs are hitting the Main index and not the one I've specified in transforms.

On the intermediate forwarder I have:

inputs.conf
[splunktcp:9997]
acceptFrom = *

On the destination Indexer I have:

props.conf
[source::WinEventLog:ForwardedEvents]
TRANSFORMS-Host = Set-Host-ComputerName
TRANSFORMS-LogName = Set-Sourcetype-LogName
TRANSFORMS-Index-Windows = Set-Index-Windows

[sourcetype::WinEventLog:*]
TRANSFORMS-Index-Windows = Set-Index-Windows

transforms.conf
[Set-Host-ComputerName]
REGEX = (?m)ComputerName=(.+)?\b
DEST_KEY = MetaData:Host
FORMAT = host::$1

[Set-Sourcetype-LogName]
REGEX = (?m)LogName=(.+)?\b
DEST_KEY = MetaData:Sourcetype
FORMAT = sourcetype::windows:event:$1

[Set-Index-Windows]
SOURCE_KEY = MetaData:customfield
REGEX = (.+)
DEST_KEY = _MetaData:Index
FORMAT = index-$1-win-event
0 Karma

hardikJsheth
Motivator

If I understood your problem correctly, you want to put data into index named index-$custom$-win-event, I think you need to update your tranforms.conf stanza as follows:

[Set-Index-Windows]
 SOURCE_KEY = field:customfield
 REGEX = (.+)
 DEST_KEY = _MetaData:Index
 FORMAT = index-$1-win-event
0 Karma

danbrook
Explorer

The custom field is set like this on the intermediate forwarder:

[default]
_meta = customfield::ACustomString
0 Karma

micahkemp
Champion

If the custom field is set on the intermediate forwarder, I have to assume the intermediate forwarder is a heavy forwarder. If that's the case, it's sending cooked data to your indexer. The indexer won't re-cook data (under normal configuration, and best practice), so changing sourcetype/index/etc won't have any affect.

For a potential (against best practice) workaround, see this previous answer:

Reparsing cooked data coming from a heavy forwarder. Possible?

0 Karma

danbrook
Explorer

The Intermediate Forward is a Universal Forwarder. The custom metadata is being added to the logs.

0 Karma

danbrook
Explorer

SOURCE_KEY = field:customfield - This didn't work I'm afraid.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Updated Team Landing Page in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to the team landing page in Splunk Observability, based on your feedback. The ...

New! Splunk Observability Search Enhancements for Splunk APM Services/Traces and ...

Regardless of where you are in Splunk Observability, you can search for relevant APM targets including service ...

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...