Getting Data In

Can you track the size of a log file?

flyers777
Explorer

I've been browsing around and was wondering is there a way to track a specific log file size (source)? The main reason I want to have an alert that if that files gets too big to have Splunk kick of a script to archive it. I really haven't been able to find a way to do this and was just wondering if anyone else has ran into this issue? Thanks everyone for your help.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @flyers777,
you could run a script that extract the size of files using a simple dir command (in Windows) or an ls -la command (in Linux) sending the output to Splunk, then you can run a search that compares values alerting it it reach a threeshold.

You can find infos at https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.0.1/AdvancedDev/ScriptSetup but in few words:

• you have to create a script in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/your_app/bin e.g. called ls.sh (in Linux),
  • give to the script the correct execution rights,
  • create a stanza in inputs.conf to schedule script.

Ciao.
Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...