Getting Data In

Can I use epoch as timestamp in DBConnect?

wmuselle
Path Finder

Hi,

struggling with this for a while.

I have an epoch time value (10 digit NUMBER) that I want to use as both rising column and timestamp for the event.

The first works fine , but getting it to use this for the event timestamp not.

I know about the workaround of timestamp'1970-01-01 00:00:00' + ( "<my_field>" /86400 ) as eventTime,

but preferably I do not ingest an extra field if it is not really necessary.

there is no config I can get to work for the timestamp.

from the Java DateTimeFormatter it appears not possible, but just want to ask out here if anyone has ffound something

sources: https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/DBX/3.13.0/DeployDBX/Troubleshooting

I have also tried using props.conf,

[mysourcetype ]
SHOULD_LINEMERGE=true
NO_BINARY_CHECK=true
TIME_FORMAT=%s
TIME_PREFIX=my_field=

but it doesnt even reach this part and errors out earlier

error pattern:

2023-06-20 10:27:07.521 +0200 Trace-Id=940a0c4d-8c64-44d7-a948-39fd6e9b7417 [Scheduled-Job-Executor-5] ERROR org.easybatch.core.job.BatchJob - Unable to process Record: {header=[number=1, source="SHE170U-JOURNEY_TRACKER", creationDate="Tue Jun 20 10:27:07 CEST 2023"], payload=[HikariProxyResultSet@2091779680 wrapping oracle.jdbc.driver.ForwardOnlyResultSet@4f527ef2]} java.time.format.DateTimeParseException: Text '1687249036' could not be parsed at index 0 at java.base/java.time.format.DateTimeFormatter.parseResolved0(DateTimeFormatter.java:2052) at java.base/java.time.format.DateTimeFormatter.parse(DateTimeFormatter.java:1880) at com.splunk.dbx.server.dbinput.task.processors.ExtractIndexingTimeProcessor.extractTimestampFromString(ExtractIndexingTimeProcessor.java:112) at com.splunk.dbx.server.dbinput.task.processors.ExtractIndexingTimeProcessor.extractTimestamp(ExtractIndexingTimeProcessor.java:92) at com.splunk.dbx.server.dbinput.task.processors.ExtractIndexingTimeProcessor.processRecord(ExtractIndexingTimeProcessor.java:46) at org.easybatch.core.processor.CompositeRecordProcessor.processRecord(CompositeRecordProcessor.java:61) at org.easybatch.core.job.BatchJob.processRecord(BatchJob.java:209) at org.easybatch.core.job.BatchJob.readAndProcessBatch(BatchJob.java:178) at org.easybatch.core.job.BatchJob.call(BatchJob.java:101) at com.splunk.dbx.server.api.service.conf.impl.InputServiceImpl.runTask(InputServiceImpl.java:298) at com.splunk.dbx.server.api.resource.InputResource.lambda$runInput$1(InputResource.java:162) at com.splunk.dbx.logging.MdcTaskDecorator.run(MdcTaskDecorator.java:23) at java.base/java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:539) at java.base/java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:264) at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1136) at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:635) at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:833)

Labels (1)
0 Karma

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@wmuselle 

• For raising column
    • You should be able to use that column as a raising column without any change
  • For timestamp
    • There is no direct way, to convert it to a timestamp as you mentioned already.

I hope this helps!!! Kindly upvote if this helps!!!

0 Karma

wmuselle
Path Finder
  • For timestamp
    • There is no direct way, to convert it to a timestamp as you mentioned already.

that's my point , I don't understand why there is no support for epoch timestamps in DB connect

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Day 0

Hello Splunk Community! My name is Chris, and I'm based in Canberra, Australia's capital, and I travelled for ...

Enhance Security Visibility with Splunk Enterprise Security 7.1 through Threat ...

(view in My Videos)Struggling with alert fatigue, lack of context, and prioritization around security ...

Troubleshooting the OpenTelemetry Collector

In this tech talk, you’ll learn how to troubleshoot the OpenTelemetry collector - from checking the ...