Getting Data In

Can I shorten frequent words?

BoldKnowsNothin
Path Finder

Hello comrades,

I'm just curios is there anyway to shorten frequent words?

For example: <Data Name='IpAddress'>::ffff:10.95.81.99</Data>

IpAddress to ipaddr or something like IPa.

Many thanks,

Labels (4)
0 Karma
1 Solution

inventsekar
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

>>> But does this field alias reduces space?

Do you mean, after doing data onboarding (so the fields are indexed properly), if you apply the field alias, will it reduce the index size?.. 

as per my understanding it wont reduce the index size ( Even if it reduces, it will only reduce very negligible amount only)

View solution in original post

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
0 Karma

BoldKnowsNothin
Path Finder

Hello gcusello,

Sir, I just surfed that link you provided to me, many thanks.

But does this field alias reduces space?

Thanks again,

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @BoldKnowsNothin ,

what do you mean with "reduce space"?

alias are applied at search time, meaning there isn't any additional disk usage.

About license usage, the number of aliases or data elaborations don't consume any additional license: license is only the volume of daily indexed logs.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

inventsekar
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

>>> But does this field alias reduces space?

Do you mean, after doing data onboarding (so the fields are indexed properly), if you apply the field alias, will it reduce the index size?.. 

as per my understanding it wont reduce the index size ( Even if it reduces, it will only reduce very negligible amount only)

0 Karma

BoldKnowsNothin
Path Finder

Hello inventsekar,

Sir, all this only for reduce our license usage, currently we afraid to exclude logs, and looking something else to reduce.

Many thanks,

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @BoldKnowsNothin ,

good for you, see next time!

Ciao and happy splunking

Giuseppe

P.S.: Karma Points are appreciated by all the contributors 😉

0 Karma

inventsekar
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @BoldKnowsNothin ... ya, i got it.. please note that, for the field names will not occupy lot of space. 

lets say, you have a CSV file with three fields

field1,field2,field3longName
data1,data2,data3

and then you have ten thousand data/records in that CSV file. 

now, the field3 is named as "field3longName"... even if you use alias, the indexer will store it only once. 

but, for license usage... you can analyze these 3 fields and if you dont want, lets say field2, .. then you can totally ignore the field2 while data onboarding. this will save lot of license. 

hope you understood, thanks. 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...