Getting Data In

CEF log messages are not coming on one line. Messages are run together.

mlulmer
Explorer

I'm sending CEF messages to a Splunk forwarder listening on TCP:9999. The lines are not being individually being identified when it makes it to the Splunk Search. I would like to do the parsing work here at the forwarder. I tried various iterations and ended up with the following based on other answers.

inputs.conf

[tcp://9999]

connection_host = none

sourcetype = ArcsightCEF

LOOKAHEAD = 3000

LINE_BREAKER = (CEF:0)

SHOULD_LINEMERGE = false

disabled = 0

The lines are still not breaking to individual lines. Please help.

0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

If the configuration files are set as lephino says, then change LINE_BREAKER to BREAK_ONLY_BEFORE

BREAK_ONLY_BEFORE=CEF:0

I believe that LINE_BREAKER and BREAK_ONLY_BEFORE are applied prior to the SHOULD_LINEMERGE

You might also try using just SHOULD_LINEMERGE alone, without specifying either LINE_BREAKER or BREAK_ONLY_BEFORE

0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

Also, did you know that there is a free app on Splunkbase to help with ArcSight-formatted CEF events? It is called

CEF (Common Event Format) Extraction Utilities

Download it and see what it can do for you.

0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

Doesn't a standard CEF event look like

Aug 19 08:26:10 host CEF:version message

And are all of your CEF messages single line?

0 Karma

bbingham
Builder

Just to clarify, you have the following as your inputs.conf:

[tcp://9999]
connection_host = none
sourcetype = ArcsightCEF
disabled = 0

then you have the following in your props.conf?

[ArcsightCEF]
LOOKAHEAD = 3000
LINE_BREAKER = (CEF:0)
SHOULD_LINEMERGE = false
0 Karma

mlulmer
Explorer

CEF:0|security|threatmanager|1.0|100|worm successfully stopped|10|src=10.0.0.1 dst=2.1.2.2 spt=1232CEF:0|security|threatmanager|1.0|100|Port Scan Detected|10|src=10.0.0.2 dst=2.1.2.3 spt=1233

0 Karma

Ayn
Legend

Could you please provide an example CEF event?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...