Getting Data In

Assign an index and sourcetype name different from forwarder in Indexers

KarunK
Contributor

Hi All,

I have a cisco edge device with Splunk forwarder (UF) embedded in it. That means index and sourcetype is already defined in UF. But in my existing Splunk indexer farm, I have to use a different index name and sourcetype name.
I cant change the CISCO device UF setting as it will a hack and also cannot change the naming convention in the Splunk farm. So somehow I have to transform the index and sourcetype names in UF to Indexer naming convention.

How can I do this ?

Thanks in Advance.

Regards

KK

Tags (1)
0 Karma

KarunK
Contributor

Hi kristian and gkanapathy,

Thanks for your answers. I have made following changes to overwrite an index, but I am getting a warning and also I cannot see the data in the new index or in old index.

Can anyone help ?

Thanks in Advance

IndexProcessor - received event for **unconfigured/disabled index='index::cdn_transaction_routed'* with source='source::/logs/service_router/service_router_10.100.110.25_20130205_054001_11063' host='host::10.100.110.25' sourcetype='sourcetype::sr_transaction' (1 missing total)*

index.conf

[cdn_transaction]
coldPath = $SPLUNK_DB/cdn_transaction/colddb
homePath = $SPLUNK_DB/cdn_transaction/db
thawedPath = $SPLUNK_DB/cdn_transaction/thaweddb

[cdn_transaction_routed]
coldPath = $SPLUNK_DB/cdn_transaction_routed/colddb
homePath = $SPLUNK_DB/cdn_transaction_routed/db
thawedPath = $SPLUNK_DB/cdn_transaction_routed/thaweddb
disabled = 0

props.conf

[source::/logs/service_router/service_router_*]
TRANSFORMS-change_sr_index=change_sr_index

transforms.conf

[change_sr_index]
REGEX = .
DEST_KEY = _MetaData:Index
FORMAT = index::cdn_transaction_routed
0 Karma

KarunK
Contributor

Worked Well..... Thanks Mate....

0 Karma

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

I think (if I remember correctly) that it should be FORMAT = cdn_transaction_routed, i.e. without the index::

/K

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

gkanapathy is right, and this is where you should look for guidance:

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/5.0.1/Indexer/Setupmultipleindexes#Route_specific_events...

0 Karma

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The correct way to do this is to edit the configuration on the UF instance on the edge device. If that's truly impossible, you can use a set of TRANSFORMs on the indexers.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...