Getting Data In

Are delete events misflaged ?

flo_cognosec
Communicator
I got quite some events coming in, so exemplarily I copied two, one with action=add and one with action=delete
Interesting enough the add / update events are correctly classified and the sourcetype matches the app, but for the delete events, the sourcetyp does not match the app and I don't actually see a reason why.
Maybe anybody has an idea on what might be the issue ?

Events

7/31/13 11:03:50.610 AM
            Wed Jul 31 11:03:50 2013 action=delete, path="/opt/appA/config/resource/file"
            host=host1 sourcetype=appB source=fschangemonitor index=core action=delete

Wed Jul 31 11:11:56 2013 action=add, path="/opt/appA/config/resource/file", isdir=0, size=1199, gid=5340, uid=5340, modtime="Thu Jun 13 10:51:58 2013", mode="r--r-----", hash=W0ReV7n8TIIUmccmbIX4xHHPiWHNNH2j1HQ3PK0qlqg=
            host=host1 sourcetype=appA source=fschangemonitor index=core action=add

inputs.conf
            [fschange:/opt/config/AppAsomename/resource]
            index=core
            followLinks=false
            recurse=true
            pollPeriod=60
            hashMaxSize=100000000
            fullEvent=true
            sourcetype= appAsomename

Props.conf
            [source::/opt/config/AppAsomename/resource/...]
            LEARN_SOURCETYPE=false
            LEARN_MODEL=false
            sourcetype= appAsomename

inputs.conf

[fschange:/opt/config/AppA/resource]
            index=core
            followLinks=false
            recurse=true
            pollPeriod=60
            hashMaxSize=100000000
            fullEvent=true
            sourcetype= appA

props.conf
            [source::/opt/config/AppA/resource/...]
            LEARN_SOURCETYPE=false
            LEARN_MODEL=false
            sourcetype= appA
0 Karma

flo_cognosec
Communicator
0 Karma

flo_cognosec
Communicator

It seems that those delete events never actually happened, so there are some kind of ghost delete events (version version 5.0.2, build 149561 )
It seems to be some kind of circular action delete-add-delete-add that actually does not happen on the filesystem

0 Karma

flo_cognosec
Communicator

Actually the only two stanzas that include the mentioned path are the two posted (I had to change the names for privacy reasons)

Both directory names start with the same word but the second app has some letters added to (pretty much like AppAsomename) it's end, but besides that there is no overlapping as far as I could see.

This mismatch ONLY happens for delete events NOT for add / update events, with the same hosts reporting the stuff and the same config (as far as I know)

0 Karma

sowings
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Can you include whatever relevant props apply to 'appB'? I don't think Splunk is going to invent sourcetypes on its own. I'd suggest that there may be fschange: stanzas with overlapping paths, and that it's the second one (appB) which is picking up the delete.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...