Getting Data In

Are Search-Time Fields Able To Be Overwritten in a transforms.conf File?

jchensor
Communicator

I was wondering if you can assign a search-time extracted field one value and then later, in a stanza that will be processed second, overwrite that field with a new value. For example, I have a situation like this:

Let's say I have 2 lines of text that reads:

Player Name: Earvin Johnson - Game 5: 10 Assists
Player Name: Magic Johnson - Game 6: 15 Assists

And I have these stanzas to generate Search-Time Field Extractions.

[stanza_name_foo]
REGEX = Name: (\w+) (\w+)
FORMAT = FIRST_NAME::$1 LAST_NAME::$2

[stanza_name_foo_nickname]
REGEX = Name: Magic
FORMAT = FIRST_NAME::Earvin

So what I'm trying to do is assign the first name and last name of the player. But if the first name just happens to be "Magic", I know that's actually Earvin Johnson, so I wanna change it. In the case of the second sample line, the first stanza will extract the value of "Magic" for the field of FIRST_NAME. But in the second stanza, if I notice the word "Magic" is found after "Name: ", I wanna change the FIRST_NAME field to "Earvin".

Will this work? Can I "overwrite" the Search-Time Extracted Field with the new value after it's already been defined once? Or once it's defined, I can't change it? Which means I'll have to do it backwards and run the second stanza first and the first stanza second.

Thanks, guys.

• James
0 Karma
1 Solution

jchensor
Communicator

So apparently, the answer is no: you cannot overwrite a search-time extracted field after you've defined it already. So basically, that just means I can accomplish what I want by doing things backwards. In other words, what I had above won't work. But this will:

[stanza_name_foo_01_magic]

[stanza_name_foo_99_main]

The reason this works is that now, in ASCII order, "[stanza_name_foo_01_magic]" triggers first. If it finds "Magic", it'll assign FIRST_NAME to Earvin. Then, in the "[stanza_name_foo_99_main]" stanza, it'll read "Magic" and try to assign FIRST_NAME to Magic, but since it's already been assigned, it can't be overwritten.

So I can do what I want, just in the reverse order I had it first listed here.

• James

View solution in original post

0 Karma

jchensor
Communicator

So apparently, the answer is no: you cannot overwrite a search-time extracted field after you've defined it already. So basically, that just means I can accomplish what I want by doing things backwards. In other words, what I had above won't work. But this will:

[stanza_name_foo_01_magic]

[stanza_name_foo_99_main]

The reason this works is that now, in ASCII order, "[stanza_name_foo_01_magic]" triggers first. If it finds "Magic", it'll assign FIRST_NAME to Earvin. Then, in the "[stanza_name_foo_99_main]" stanza, it'll read "Magic" and try to assign FIRST_NAME to Magic, but since it's already been assigned, it can't be overwritten.

So I can do what I want, just in the reverse order I had it first listed here.

• James
0 Karma

jchensor
Communicator

Of course, I could also use the "priority" field instead of naming the stanzas so that they execute alphabetically to make things easier with naming the stanzas.

0 Karma

dwaddle
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I've not tested this, but a possible option may be a lookup table. Say you have the whole name "Magic Johnson" extracted into a field called player_name then you can define a lookup table similar to:

player_name,real_name
Magic Johnson,Earvin Johnson
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Lew Alcindor

You can use this in your search similar to:

| lookup player_name_lookup player_name output real_name AS player_name

You will have to, of course, define player_name_lookup in transforms.conf similar to:

[player_name_lookup]
filename=player_name_lookup.csv

The part I'm not sure about is if lookup will let you overwrite player_name in the search results. You may need to further post-process with eval.

0 Karma

jchensor
Communicator

Also, I love the sample you gave, putting Kareem there. ^_^ High Five!

0 Karma

jchensor
Communicator

Hey, dwaddle! Thanks for the suggestion, though to be honest I was looking for a way to accomplish this without needing to use a lookup file. And I did test it out myself, actually, and I figured out the way it all behaves. You can see my answer above.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...