Getting Data In

Addig data input

msalghamdi
Explorer

Hello Splunkers

i have clustered splunk 9.2.1 on prem, i have pushed an app from the CM to search head cluster and trying to configure a data input through the search head (option is not available from the CM)

whenever i add a data input i always face this error "Current instance is running in SHC mode and is not able to add new inputs"

how can i fix this ?

Labels (3)
0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

1. CM does not manage SHC. CM manages indexer cluster. Deployer (not deployment server!) is used to push configuration to SHC

2. As @Tom_Lundie said - you don't add inputs using GUI on SHC. In fact, you shouldn't use SHC to run inputs. Even in a smaller environment you shouldn't run inputs on a standalone SH - that's what HFs are for.

0 Karma

Tom_Lundie
Contributor

Hi,

This is by design, the problem with running modular inputs on the SHC layer is that if all of the nodes in the cluster attempt to run the input you would get duplicated data and all sorts of problems. Splunk seem to be actively developing a solution for this but do not officially support at the time of writing.

That being said, a handful of apps do have official support (e.g. Splunk DB Connect). These seem to rely on the run_only_one directive in inputs.conf to ensure they only run on the captain node to prevent duplication.

Unless your TA has official support for a deployment on a SHC, I would recommend using a separate, dedicated instance for input collection such as a Heavy Forwarder.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Monitoring Postgres with OpenTelemetry

Behind every business-critical application, you’ll find databases. These behind-the-scenes stores power ...

Mastering Synthetic Browser Testing: Pro Tips to Keep Your Web App Running Smoothly

To start, if you're new to synthetic monitoring, I recommend exploring this synthetic monitoring overview. In ...

Splunk Edge Processor | Popular Use Cases to Get Started with Edge Processor

Splunk Edge Processor offers more efficient, flexible data transformation – helping you reduce noise, control ...