Getting Data In

Add a lookup file without the GUI

rusty009
Path Finder

I currently have a distributed splunk setup, with one search head a cluster master and three indexers and am trying to automate a way to add lookup files to this setup. The file is too large to be uploaded to the web GUI, so I have attempted to add the lookup file to

/appName/lookups/mylookup.csv

on the search head, but as soon as I do, I receive a sync error with failure reason 'NONE' and no other data is searchable through the search head. So I am wondering two things,

1; when I upload a lookup through the lookup editor app, it is added into the /lookup_editor/lookups folder, so why when I add one manually does it not like it? Is there another file I need to update?
2:What is the best way to script uploading a lookup file to splunk?

Thanks

EDIT Just thought I would add an edit, as I have found out that manually creating a lookup within the folder didn't actually cause issues with the search head, this issue was the lookup I created was 8 GB and the maximum bundle size was set to 1GB, so the bundle failed to replicate and caused all these issues. So I believe it actually possible to create a lookup manually with the above method !

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

lycollicott
Motivator

Check this out http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.3.2/Knowledge/ConfigureCSVlookups.
It doesn't specifically deal with how to script such a thing, bit it does explain how to define a lookup in transforms.conf, so you could make a shell script to 1) upload the csv 2) copy/append the transforms.conf 3) restart splunk.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

lycollicott
Motivator

Check this out http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.3.2/Knowledge/ConfigureCSVlookups.
It doesn't specifically deal with how to script such a thing, bit it does explain how to define a lookup in transforms.conf, so you could make a shell script to 1) upload the csv 2) copy/append the transforms.conf 3) restart splunk.

0 Karma

prachi0693

I could add lookup by editing the transforms.conf file. Now i want to add lookup definition from the command line. Any way to do that?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...