Developing for Splunk Enterprise

Shell script won't execute a Python script.

I am totally confused after many hours of trying to figure this out and I couldn't find any other posts similar enough to my problem. Here's my problem:

I want an alert to call a shell script (myShellScript.sh)

I then want myShellScript.sh to execute a Python script (myPythonScript.py) in the same directory.

myShellScript.sh looks like:

#!/bin/bash

./myPythonScript.py

myPythonScript.py looks like:

#!/usr/bin/env python

::python code here::

If I execute the shell script from the terminal it works. If I put in a shell script that doesn't try to run an executable into a Splunk alert message it works, but a sheel script that attempts to execute a command is a no-go. None of the logs (splunkd.log, scheduler.log, python.log) list any problems, the python executable has the proper permissions. Anybody know what's going on?

Labels (1)
0 Karma

You should do it the other way round, run python script inside screen:

screen -dm bash -c 'script -c "python test.py" output.txt'
0 Karma

When attempting to call a python script from a script, don't attempt to execute it directly using ./, instead call the interrupter to execute it for you. Something like this should suffice:

#!/bin/bash

SCRIPT_PATH="myPythonscript.py" 
PYTHON="/usr/bin/python"

# call script via the interrupter     
$PYTHON $SCRIPT_PATH

Also make sure that the permissions are right on both scripts (chmod +x) etc.

0 Karma

Legend

You're assuming that the script's working directory is the path where it resides - however that's not the case. Scripts execute in the root path "/", so when you try to run "./myPythonScript.py" in the script that's equivalent to attempting to run "/myPythonScript.py".

If you reference your Python script using its full path, or for that matter change your working directory at the start of the shell script, your script will work.