Splunk Dev

How to package external python libraries required by a custom Splunk app?

boris
Path Finder

My splunk app requires external python libraries.

On my own system I can install these.

However, now I want to package my app for other Splunk users.

What is the standard way to handle the required installation of new python libraries when packaging a Splunk app for others to use?

Labels (2)
Tags (2)

stricaud_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

What I do is:
1) If the app requires lots of libraries (which seems to be your case), a README, or requirements.txt will do. I require people to install the dependencies before using the App. Just like any software.
2) If the libraries are small, I embed them. This way I guarantee the behavior. With new app update, libraries are updated.

rsathish47
Contributor

2nd option , how do we do that? how to embed the py lib in app. please guide me here

0 Karma

umairahmad3985
Path Finder

Just put the library folder in your Splunk App's bin folder and that way you can access it in your app code via import statements.

0 Karma

thomrs
Communicator

This is the approach I am taking as well.

0 Karma

rsathish47
Contributor

2nd option , how do we do that? how to embed the py lib in app. please guide me here

0 Karma

asieira
Path Finder

Option 1 is not available for Splunk Cloud users, is it?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...