Deployment Architecture

search a bucket without aggregating results

josephinemho
Path Finder

I want to be able to search for all results where Percent_CPU_Load is greater than 95. However, when I do search CPUbucket=Greater than 95%, it's not giving me what I want - the sparkline is not correct. I think it might be aggregating those results and then returning it.

Here's an example of how the sparkline SHOULD look like:
alt text

But here's what I'm getting
alt text

Note: I need to have that search CPUbucket option in mu query because ultimately, I want it to return all servers that fall into that bucket category. I am only specifying one server to use in this example.

Code:

index=os 
    | lookup sa_managed_servers.csv host 
    | search server_group=SA | eval Percent_CPU_Load = 100 - pctIdle 
    | search sourcetype=cpu host="example.com"
    | eval CPUbucket=case(Percent_CPU_Load > 95, "Greater than 95%", Percent_CPU_Load <=95 AND Percent_CPU_Load > 50, "51%-95%", Percent_CPU_Load <=50 AND Percent_CPU_Load >=20, "20%-50%", Percent_CPU_Load <20, "Less than 20%") 
    | search CPUbucket="Greater than 95%" CPU=all
    | stats sparkline(avg(Percent_CPU_Load)) as Activity avg(Percent_CPU_Load) as Average, max(Percent_CPU_Load) as Peak, min(Percent_CPU_Load) as Low, avg(pctIowait) as WaitTime by host 
    | eval Average=round(Average, 0)."%" 
    | eval Peak=round(Peak, 0)."%" 
    | eval Low=round(Low, 0)."%" 
    | eval WaitTime=round(WaitTime, 0)."%" 
    | sort -Average 
    | rename host AS Server
Tags (2)
0 Karma

esix_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

One thought on this, you first result, which you say is correct, is over a span of 6 hours with 434 events. Whereas the second graph is over the similar timespan, but with only 5 events.

As an educated guess, I would say that this sparkline is accurate based on 5 events being loaded and aggregated. Look at those raw events, and most likely they are very similar in nature, as in 100%.. Whereas your first sampling is more varied as there are 434 results...

0 Karma

josephinemho
Path Finder

Thanks!

So the reason why the first image returns 5 results is because there are actually 5 other rows of data (for 5 different hosts/servers) which I didn't capture in the screenshot. It doesn't reflect the data that goes into creating the sparkline, it is only the result of all the hosts/servers from my query:
stats sparkline(avg(Percent_CPU_Load)) as Activity avg(Percent_CPU_Load) as Average, max(Percent_CPU_Load) as Peak, min(Percent_CPU_Load) as Low, avg(pctIowait) as WaitTime by host

That is why I believe the problem is in this part of the query: | search CPUbucket="Greater than 95%" CPU=all

However, I need that part of the query because I want to search for ALL hosts/servers that have CPU Greater than 95%, so I need that search option in there. However, I also need the sparkline to show the individual trend of a specific host/server and somehow it's not portraying it accurately.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...