Deployment Architecture

"ERROR ClusteringMgr - VerifyMultisiteConfig failed" when trying to join cluster

pgoonghang

I have a cluster master up and running, and was able to add a single search head. Now, when I login to splunkweb on the master and look under clustering, I can see the search head, and see it marked as "Up". I had to do quite a bit to get this to work and may have forgot some of the steps.
Now, I am trying to add a second search head, but am having trouble getting it to join the cluster. The master is reachable on all tcp and udp ports from the search head, but I am getting the following error in splunkd.log:
ERROR ClusteringMgr - VerifyMultisiteConfig failed Error=failed method=GET path=/services/cluster/master/info/?output_mode=json master=splunk-master-01.internal:8089 rv=0 gotConnectionError=1 gotUnexpectedStatusCode=0 actual_response_code=502 expected_response_code=2xx status_line="Error connecting: SSL not configured on client" socket_error="SSL not configured on client" remote_error=
My server.conf looks similar to this:
[general]
serverName = splunk-head-03.internal
site = site1
pass4SymmKey = *****

[sslConfig]
sslPassword = *****
sslRootCAPath = /opt/splunk/etc/auth/mycerts/myCACertificate.pem
[clustering]
master_uri = https://splunk-master-01.internal:8089
multisite = true
mode = searchhead
pass4SymmKey = *****
[lmpool:auto_generated_pool_download-trial]
description = auto_generated_pool_download-trial
quota = MAX
slaves = *
stack_id = download-trial
[lmpool:auto_generated_pool_forwarder]
description = auto_generated_pool_forwarder
quota = MAX
slaves = *
stack_id = forwarder
[lmpool:auto_generated_pool_free]
description = auto_generated_pool_free
quota = MAX
slaves = *
stack_id = free
For SSL, I copied the same certs from the /opt/splunk/etc/auth/mycerts/ directory on the working server and made sure they have the same permissions. Also, I reset sslPassword and pass4SymmKey to the clear text versions each time before I restart the server.
So, what are all the requirements for splunk servers to join the cluster in addition to pass4SymmKey being the same everywhere?

Tags (1)
0 Karma

yimingz_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

This is the problem that splunk tries to connect to master but failed on authentication. Before starting splunk, try to backup server.conf , then remove the sslConfig stantza in the server.conf and start the splunk.

patrickernsten
Explorer

I have exactly the same problem.
Did you get an answer?
And did you fix the problem? And how did you fix the problem?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...