Deployment Architecture

deployment server configs as an app

petreb
Path Finder

hello,

I am trying to migrate an existing deployment server to a new machine, and I want to have it as an app in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/my_own_deploymentserver

all good, I have the following layout under /opt/splunk/etc/apps/my_own_deploymentserver/

[splunk@deployer]$ more local/serverclass.conf 
[global]
repositoryLocation = /opt/splunk/etc/apps/my_own_deploymentserver/dclasses
targetRepositoryLocation = $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps
tmpFolder = $SPLUNK_HOME/var/run/tmp

#hadoop 

[serverClass:dclient-hadoop-test]
whitelist.0=hadoop_sbb_test-*
[serverClass:dclient-hadoop-test:app:dclient-hadoop-test]
stateOnClient=enabled
restartSplunkd=true

however, @ splunk reload deploy-server it's telling me "0 classes found" and reload -class dclient-hadoop-test doesn't work, although the class is visible

[splunk@deployer]$ splunk cmd btool serverclass list
[global]
continueMatching = true
crossServerChecksum = false
endpoint = $deploymentServerUri$/services/streams/deployment?name=$tenantName$:$serverClassName$:$appName$
filterType = whitelist
issueReload = false
repositoryLocation = /opt/splunk/etc/apps/my_own_deploymentserver/dclasses
restartSplunkWeb = False
restartSplunkd = False
stateOnClient = enabled
targetRepositoryLocation = $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps
tmpFolder = $SPLUNK_HOME/var/run/tmp
[serverClass:dclient-hadoop-test]
whitelist.0 = hadoop_sbb_test-*
[serverClass:dclient-hadoop-test:app:dclient-hadoop-test]
restartSplunkd = true
stateOnClient = enabled

the only workaround I could find is to symlink /opt/splunk/etc/apps/my_own_deploymentserver/local/serverclass.conf to /opt/splunk/etc/system/local and so it sees my class definitions.

is there another more elegant solution ?

thanks

petreb
Path Finder

I'm answering myself --> splunk must "see" the new app, in order for restart deploy-server to work --> after that it works as it should

so - create the app on the deployment server, reload (restart) the splunk daemon - than edit serverclasses and reload deploy-server as you need

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...