Deployment Architecture

Why did our Splunk DB connect 380 fail to start Task server on Linux machine?

Muwafi
Path Finder

Hello Splunkers,

I need urgent help on how to fix the below issueDBX 2.PNG

DBX.PNG

I need to configure splunk DB connect to be able to connect to MSSQL later. Splunk is installed on CentOS 7 and I have installed the JRE  and the path is (/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.8.0-openjdk-1.8.0.322.b06-1.el7_9.x86_64/jre/) however I still can't start the Task server and keeps failing.

I have restarted Splunk and the VM itself and issue still persist.  

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

Muwafi
Path Finder

Hello Splunkers,

Thanks for everyone tried to help here.

in my case, issue was solved after user permissions was updated to  R/W/X for the path /opt/splunk/etc/apps/splunk_app_db_connect/*.* 

so splunk would be able to run server.sh script

Now task server is able to be restarted.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

Muwafi
Path Finder

Hello Splunkers,

Thanks for everyone tried to help here.

in my case, issue was solved after user permissions was updated to  R/W/X for the path /opt/splunk/etc/apps/splunk_app_db_connect/*.* 

so splunk would be able to run server.sh script

Now task server is able to be restarted.

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

usually this means that DBX cannot find your JRE from filesystem. It seems that you are using full path for JRE. If/when your host's JRE has updated then it's path has changed to different version. For that reason it's better to use it via symbolic link which points something like /usr/lib/jvm/<something>. This link has updated to point to the correct version when JRE has updated.

r. Ismo

0 Karma

Muwafi
Path Finder

I have tried however it didn't work, do Splunk user have to have full access/privilege to the path  “/usr/lib/jvm/<JRE or JDK Home Folder>” to be able to restart the task server ?  

0 Karma

venky1544
Builder

Hi @Muwafi 

Did you download the appropriate JDBC driver for SQL server 

Did you copy the MS Generic driver ?? from inside the sqljdbc directory to \etc\apps\splunk_app_db_connect\drivers 

This is one of the pre-requisites 

0 Karma

Muwafi
Path Finder

Yes I have already done that.

0 Karma

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Make sure the linux user that is running Splunk service has access to Java.

* (For example, if you are using splunk user to start Splunk. Make sure you can run java command with that user.)

Look at the logs to see if there is any error regarding DB Connect of Java in the Splunk logs.

0 Karma

Muwafi
Path Finder

User is already granted the access to java command and is able to run java commands, however issue is still persist.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...