Deployment Architecture

Why am I getting "Socket error communicating with splunkd" when I try to reload my deployment server to push out new configurations?

JoeSco27
Communicator

Socket error communicating with splunkd (error=The read operation timed out), path = /services/deployment/server/config/_reload

I get this error whenever i try to reload my deployment server to push out new configs. It wont let me make any changes. I have opened up a ticket with Splunk support (Case# - 201659) but to no avail. Has anyone else seen this type of issue and know how to fix it or what is causing the issue?

shaikhussain2
Explorer

Hi, This might be in your environment using in 1 server 2 components such like we were using 2 component in 1 server ( SH & DS ), so we have faced same issue and then separated both in separate servers and then the command was executing perfectly.

0 Karma

mookiie2005
Communicator

This happened to us a lot after we upgraded to splunk 6.4 version, We ended up needing to use the deployment command "splunk reload deploy-server -timeout 200" where 200 is 200 seconds. You are just telling splunk to give the deployment a little more time before it times out. This could be required if you are deploying a large number of apps to a large number of servers. Hope that helps!

hortonew
Builder

This is the answer that solved my problem. Just add the -timeout 200 and no issues.

hettervik
Builder

Hi. Has anyone figured what causes the socket error message? I'm getting the same error, but I feel like adding the timeout flag on the reload deploy-server command is just hiding the problem, not actually fixing it. I've noticed that almost all my RAM is used for cache, but I don't know if this is related or not.

splunkoptimus
Path Finder

Reloading servers can take a bit more time if your environment is big. that is you have thousands of forwarders connecting to your DS.

0 Karma

shaikhussain2
Explorer

same issue i am facing now aslo i have tried with -timeout 200 but still socket error message it showing

0 Karma

cesaccenturefed
Path Finder

Thank this also help me too. I was running into the issue 2 years ago decided just to ignore it. the flag provides so much satisfaction to get successful reloading message 🙂

0 Karma

LiquidTension
Path Finder

I have the same problem. Take a look at this posting:

http://answers.splunk.com/answers/170244/splunk-reload-deploy-server%E3%82%92%E5%AE%9F%E8%A1%8C%E3%8...

The above does not work for me, I end up being presented with the following:
"Too many HTTP threads (659) already running, try again later

The server can not presently handle the given request."

Did you ever find a solution?

0 Karma

itmonitoring
Explorer

Restart splunkd of the deployment server should fix the problem. But i am not sure what exactly caused this error yet. Anyone knows about the root cause of this error?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...