Deployment Architecture

Where should we upload a file to index the data in an indexer cluster?

rangineniarunku
Explorer

We are using clustered environment with multiple indexers and single Search head. I want to upload a file which needs to be indexed in all the indexers. Where should I upload it SearchHead or Cluster Master to reflect in all the indexers?

0 Karma

mattymo
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I would recommend you upload form the search head, but you need to ensure you confirm that the search head is configured with an ouputs.conf and is forwarding to the indexers. It is best practice, that all your splunk instances other than indexers* have a outputs.conf and forward their logs or any data uploaded to the indexers.

You can read the following article and think of your search head as a "Heavy Forwarder":
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.6.2/Forwarding/Deployaheavyforwarder

As long as you have an outputs.conf on the search head, uploading form there will be fine.

Now, when you upload the file, it will be sent to ONE indexer, indexed, and replicated based on your Replication Factor/Search Factor in the cluster.

When you say "all indexers", do really mean every single indexer? Are we talking about a file that needs to be indexed? or a file that needs to be provided to each indexer...Because if it's the later, you simply need to send the file to the indexers in an app from the Cluster Master by pushing a cluster bundle.

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.6.2/Indexer/Updatepeerconfigurations

• there are certain scenarios where indexers might have outputs to 3rd party systems but thats beyond the scope of this answer
- MattyMo
0 Karma

rangineniarunku
Explorer

I want to upload a file that needs to be indexed and make sure it available in all the indexers as we are using clustered environment.

0 Karma

davidmills
Explorer

We have a cluster of 3 Search Heads. Does the same still apply. Do we load the file to one of the 3 and index from there?

0 Karma

mattymo
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The follow the first part of my answer above and add the data from the Search Head.

The Cluster will ensure the data is replicated accordingly.

- MattyMo
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...