Deployment Architecture
Highlighted

Whats the best way to connect an already running search head to a new deployment server

Communicator

Hello

I have a small env( 2 indexers, 1 sh) that we are wanting to connect a new deployment server to the search head. I copied all the apps to the new deployment server. Moved the current SPLUNKHOME/etc/apps directory to SPLUNKHOME/etc/apps.old.whatever. Re-added the SPLUNKHOME/etc/apps directory. Added the deploymentclient.conf file. Restarted.
Waited for a connection:

06-07-2018 21:06:40.618 +0000 INFO  DC:HandshakeReplyHandler - Handshake done.

But the deployment server never saw a connection, at least not that I saw in the GUI. So I removed the apps directory and moved the old apps back to the apps directory. and restarted so all would go back to normal. It caused collections to break so I had to fix that but can you tell me:
Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks for the tips

0 Karma
Highlighted

Re: Whats the best way to connect an already running search head to a new deployment server

SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Did you create the necessary serverclass.conf entry for your search head and assigned those apps? Does SH can connect to your new DS, firewall wise?

0 Karma
Highlighted

Re: Whats the best way to connect an already running search head to a new deployment server

Communicator

I did yes. I had the serverclass created but it should still connect and show up in the clients tab anyway. I checked ports and everything were open on 8089. Tested telnet including port.

0 Karma
Highlighted

Motivator

You want a deployment server to manage your search head right?

Just place all your search head apps in deployment server $Splunk_Home/etc/deployment-apps directory.And as you mentioned the DS and SH already hand shook you will see all the deployment server apps deployed under /etc/apps dir of Search Head.

NB:- You should create a server class to include those apps for Search head.

0 Karma
Highlighted

Communicator

As stated I already did that. The issue it that even though it says it connected and did a handshake I never saw the connection in the deployment server in the clients list.

0 Karma
Highlighted

Motivator

Start with the basic troubleshooting:

telnet deployment server from Search head to the management port and vice versa(default 8089).
Check if services are running on both instance.Do a restart on both instance.
Check deploymentclients configuration file under Search Head.(paste it here)

Let me know if any progress.

0 Karma
Highlighted

Communicator

I figured it out. It wasn't actually an issue at all it just didn't connect and appear in the deployment server as fast as I had anticipated it would. Just took a bit longer but was successful.

Thanks again

View solution in original post

0 Karma
Highlighted

Motivator

Good that it resolved.

0 Karma