Deployment Architecture

What is the typical or recommended data retention time frame for each bucket, hot, warm, and cold?

vonsolo29
Explorer

What is the typical or recommended data retention time frame for each bucket, hot, warm, and cold?

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

hot->warm->cold isn't primarily controlled by time.

hot->warm is mostly controlled by number of open hot buckets and the size of the hot bucket.
warm->cold is mostly controlled by size of your warm volume and number of warm buckets.

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Data retention as in "how long to keep data in an index" depends mostly on three things:

• how long to you have to keep the data to do what you need to do? (minimum)
  • how long are you allowed to keep the data? (maximum)
  • how much storage do you want to pay for? (fuzzy)
0 Karma

adonio
Ultra Champion

really depends on your data, how fast you write the data in (gb per day) how often you want it to rotate and other considerations
there are some recommendation regarding bucket sizes for better search performance, but that also depends on some other factors

vonsolo29
Explorer

ok thanks, just trying to get an idea of how we configure our indexers for data retention and what is most common or recommended.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...