Deployment Architecture

What is the impact to expire my server.pem?

Shuhei052492
Path Finder

What is the impact to expire my server.pem?

Hi Splunk professional,

I would like to know any impacts when the server.pem in SHC are expired.

I have already understood what will happen to expire them in SHC.

• impossible to use 8089
  • impossible to use kvstore
  • not to work replication between SH
  • not to work lookup and inputlookup command

I do make sure whether SHC are impossible to connect with indexer when expiring the server.pem, because the 8089 port is not work.
Is that correct?

Anyway, I would like to know another impact and concern.

I appreciate any opinion.

Regards,

0 Karma

splunkreal
Motivator

May Splunk not work anymore however if the ROOT CA expires?

Thanks.

* If this helps, please upvote or accept solution 🙂 *
0 Karma

nickhills
Ultra Champion

Generally speaking, Splunk will not be adversely affected by an expired certificate, however, it is of course bad security practice.

SSL/TLS certificate management can be quite a daunting process in Splunk, however, this excellent presentation from .conf15 walks you through the process of generating your own certificates for your whole deployment - Its a great guide.

It also shows which services such as CA checking and CN checking are used by each component.

https://conf.splunk.com/session/2015/conf2015_DWaddle_DefensePointSecurity_deploying_SplunkSSLBestPr...

If my comment helps, please give it a thumbs up!

harsmarvania57
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi,

As far as I know if you have sslVerifyServerCert = false in server.conf then it will not create any problem but KVStore will complain and might not work (I had tested expired server.pem in Splunk 6.3 or 6.4 and it was working fine in my lab in SHC and IDXC and I was not using kvstore)

0 Karma

damann
Communicator

When your SSL certificates expire your components (SH, IDX, Forwarder, etc...) will stop talking to each other.

0 Karma

nickhills
Ultra Champion

This is not correct in most cases. Splunk is very tolerant of expired certificates. It is certainly not the default failure mode

If my comment helps, please give it a thumbs up!
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...