Deployment Architecture

What do we need to back-up in a multi-site cluster?

danielbb
Motivator

We have a multi-site cluster with four indexers on each site and replication factor is at 2. When we back it up, is it enough to back-up one site?

Tags (2)
0 Karma

kgderrekchapin
Path Finder

Are you backing up for resiliency or for data retention purposes?
What is your site replication factor?

to give you a real quick rundown on site replication. the site specific settings in the [clustering] stanza are:
site_replication_factor = origin:2,total:3
site_search_factor = origin:1,total:2

Origin means how many copies to keep on the originating site. the difference in the total specifies how many copies to keep on other sites.
Only focusing on the replication factor here is an example from above would be the following
Site 1: 2 copies
Site 2: 1 copy

For additional settings and information on replication strategies take a look here.
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.3.2/Indexer/Sitereplicationfactor

If your repfactor doesn't' have the origin and total specified you are likely not replicating across sites.

-Derrek

danielbb
Motivator

The back-up is for resiliency - to be able to restore the data. The site replication factor - I need to check...

0 Karma

kgderrekchapin
Path Finder

I think once you have Site replication confirmed you should be good with a single site backup.

But please keep this in mind.

Any data not sync'd across the lines or in transit will be lost if the non backup site died or the connectivity was cut.

If you feel this answer was sufficient please take moment and accept it.

Take care,
Derrek

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...