Deployment Architecture

Virustotal Checker: Why are we receiving "Socket Timeout. Check Your Internet Connection" error in the vtc_message field?

ejharts2015
Communicator

We just upgraded to the VirusTotal Checker 1.3 version and now we get a "Socket Timeout. Please Check Your Internet Connection" error in the vtc_message field.

In the vt_link field states "Not connected..."

We're using a search head cluster and indexer cluster. We pushed the app out via our master/deployer box.

Any thoughts?

1 Solution

dpreston31
Engager

More than likely due to VirusTotal's CAPTCHA. I was getting this error as well, then did a manual MD5 hash search on VirusTotal.com, proved I was not a robot with CAPTCHA, reran the VT Splunk search and got past the Socket Timeout error.

If VirusTotal Checker could implement API access to VirusTotal, that would be great..MmmK..Thanks!

😉

View solution in original post

ahskylehowson

Did anybody get this to work? I'm running into the same issue and hoping someone found a way to include the virustotal api key's.

0 Karma

dpreston31
Engager

More than likely due to VirusTotal's CAPTCHA. I was getting this error as well, then did a manual MD5 hash search on VirusTotal.com, proved I was not a robot with CAPTCHA, reran the VT Splunk search and got past the Socket Timeout error.

If VirusTotal Checker could implement API access to VirusTotal, that would be great..MmmK..Thanks!

😉

View solution in original post

dpreston31
Engager

Did some research and found out that automating VirusTotal lookups is restricted to 4 lookups per minute. Both via VirusTotal Checker's method of appending hashes o a virustotal.com search URL, and via the VT Public API 2.0 access.

https://www.virustotal.com/en/documentation/public-api/#getting-ip-reports

Explains why in the screenshots he limited the search to 10 events "head 10". Which by the way, successfully works and retrieves VT results only after I go to VirusTotal.com and do the CAPTCHA.

0 Karma

Bloodnite
Path Finder

I'm assuming this is tied to the API key piece that needs implemented still in the app? I may just make it work myself =\

0 Karma
.conf21 Now Fully Virtual!
Register for FREE Today!

We've made .conf21 totally virtual and totally FREE! Our completely online experience will run from 10/19 through 10/20 with some additional events, too!