Deployment Architecture

Using Azure Tags for Server Classes

jeffbat
Path Finder

is there a way to utilize Azure Tags for serverclasses so Splunk knows what deployment-apps need to be pushed out to the server?

Thanks for any advice.

0 Karma

wyfwa4
Communicator

Not out of the box - serverclasses can only use a small number of variables to control membership - such as name, IP address, OS.

There are two general ways this could be achieved, but both require a bit of programming to get working

1. Create a script to generate the serverclasses.conf content which has the required mapping. This would use data from Azure to identify which hosts have which tags and link them to the relevant serverclass. Then run the splunk reload deploy-server command to get the config active in Splunk. You script will need to pull the list of tags and hosts from Azure or maybe even you can use an existing Azure add-in to retrieve this data from Splunk.
  2. Use the "clientname" option in deploymentclient.conf to append a tag name to the computer name and then you can use the built-in wildcard options in the serverclasses.conf (or web interface). You will need a script running on each host to get the tags associated with that host and write that data to a local deploymentclient.conf file. This option is only workable for one or two tags per host.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...