Deployment Architecture

This license does not support being a remote master

ryanaa
Explorer

"I want to deploy my settings to another search head while using a virtual machine. However, whenever I attempt to authorize, the following error occurs:"

Bad Request — editTracker failed, reason='WARN: path=/masterlm/usage: This license does not support being a remote master. from ip=172.18.0.3'

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

kiran_panchavat
Communicator

@ryanaa Are you attempting to add one Linux Splunk Trial instance to another Splunk Trial instance for trial purposes? If so, it won't work because those are trial situations in any case.

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Admin/MoreaboutSplunkFree  

You need to have a valid enterprise license to do so. 

View solution in original post

0 Karma

kiran_panchavat
Communicator

@ryanaa Are you attempting to add one Linux Splunk Trial instance to another Splunk Trial instance for trial purposes? If so, it won't work because those are trial situations in any case.

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Admin/MoreaboutSplunkFree  

You need to have a valid enterprise license to do so. 

0 Karma

ryanaa
Explorer

I am practicing setting up four Splunk containers on a VM. Among them, two are indexers, and one is a search head. I am using Splunk version 8.1.1. When I try to connect the others as peers to the search head, the error mentioned above occurs."

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

you can check what features your license contains by just looking that license file. It can found from $SPLUNK_HOME/etch/license/xxxx/<license file>.lic. There are at least two different license directories enterprise and download-trial. 1st one contains your "official" + NFR etc. licenses, 2nd one contains trial which are installed with downloaded trial version if you haven't any other license file(s).

You can just look that file and check what features you have like (etc/licenses/download-trial/enttrial.lic)

<features>
      <feature>Auth</feature>
      <feature>FwdData</feature>
      <feature>RcvData</feature>
      <feature>LocalSearch</feature>
      <feature>DistSearch</feature>
      <feature>RcvSearch</feature>
      <feature>ScheduledSearch</feature>
      <feature>Alerting</feature>
      <feature>DeployClient</feature>
      <feature>DeployServer</feature>
      <feature>SplunkWeb</feature>
      <feature>SigningProcessor</feature>
      <feature>SyslogOutputProcessor</feature>
      <feature>AllowDuplicateKeys</feature>
    </features>

Those features are quite well self documented.

Usually LM feature is included into all paid licenses and also it is in dev/test license which contains this feature 

<feature>CanBeRemoteMaster</feature>

There is also developer license which don't have that feature.

You could read more about different licenses from https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Admin/TypesofSplunklicenses

I think that in your use case you should use normal paid production license if this is production environment and if it's your test/lab env then you need to request dev/test license as described on above link.

r. Ismo

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer at Splunk .conf24 ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...