Deployment Architecture

Splunk heavy forwarder data forwarding issue. WARN DateParserVerbose - The same timestamp has been used for 1000K consecutive times. If more than 200K events have the same timestamp, not all events may be retrieveable

manikandankasi
Explorer

Hi,

I'm facing issue with data forwarding to splunk. i'm not sure where data being dropped and its happening randomly.
Details:
I have text (key-value pair) file with 6.5 million lines(events) with same timestamp (_time) configured.
but while ingesting file to splunk via Heavy forwarder, it automatically incrementing _time +1 sec for every 100k or 200k events randomly.
Observation:
if the _time +1 sec increment happens for every 100k events, then no issues data completely ingest to splunk.
if some times _time +1 sec increment happens for 200+k events, we are observing data drop, only 4 to 4.5 million events got ingested out of 6.5 million events.

splunk log giving this warning:
WARN DateParserVerbose - The same timestamp has been used for 500K consecutive times. If more than 200K events have the same timestamp, not all events may be retrieveable

Splunk Environment details:
Splunk Version: 7.2.6

Could you please advice what is root cause of this issue and remedy for same.

Thanks In Advance !!!.
Mani

Tags (1)
0 Karma

adonio
Ultra Champion

are the events really have the same timestamp?
see nice elaborated answer here:
https://answers.splunk.com/answers/303/whats-max-events-i-can-have-timestamped-with-a-particular-sec...

manikandankasi
Explorer

Thanks Adonio for reply..
yes all 6.5 million event has same timestamp.
My concern is the data drop happening randomly. not consistence. how some times increment +1 sec for every 100k events and some time 200+k events.
Does Splunk version 7.2.6 has the capability to handle this scenario?
Could you please advise any work around for same. is there any limits needs to updated to handle this?

Thanks,
Mani

0 Karma

adonio
Ultra Champion

you can add the index time timestamp to each event
in props.conf under the relevant sourcetype stanza, add:
DATETIME_CONFIG = CURRENT
read here more:
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.0.0/admin/Propsconf

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...