Path Finder

Hi,

I have the following outputs.conf on my Splunk Heavy Forwarder:

defaultGroup = indx1

[tcpout:indx1]
server=1.1.1.1:9997

[tcpout:indx2]
server=2.2.2.2:9997

As expected, the heavy forwarder is forwarding all data to the indx1.

Then I manually stopped the Indexer indx1 expecting that Splunk will start sending the data to indx2 as indx1 is not available, but this did not happen and all forwarding was blocked by the heavy forwarder waiting for indx1 to come back online. Logs below.

05-31-2021 18:14:45.039 +0000 WARN  TcpOutputProc [16471 indexerPipe] - The TCP output processor has paused the data flow. Forwarding to host_dest=1.1.1.1 inside output group indx1 from host_src=splunk-hf has been blocked for blocked_seconds=480. This can stall the data flow towards indexing and other network outputs. Review the receiving system's health in the Splunk Monitoring Console. It is probably not accepting data.

Is this the expected behavior ? Should the heavy forwarder not switch to indx2 once indx1 is down ?

Thanks,

Termcap

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
Hi
if I recall right there is no option to do that as you want to use second group as fallback address. The Splunk way is to use several host on output stanza or even better if you can use indexer discovery for getting current working indexers.
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.2.0/Indexer/indexerdiscovery
r. Ismo

View solution in original post

0 Karma

venkatasri
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @termcap 

Seems there is no out-of-the box Splunk solution.

How to configure outputs.conf to forward data in a... - Splunk Community

---------------------------------

An upvote would be appreciated if it helps!

venkatasri
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @termcap 

'defaultGroup' not required if your HF version is above 4.2. Following setting works for your cases and loadbalance among both indexers.

[tcpout:indx1and2]
server=1.1.1.1:9997,2.2.2.2:9997

You can refer this link for detailed info - outputs.conf - Splunk Documentation

------------------------------------------------------------

An upvote would be appreciated if it helps!

0 Karma

termcap
Path Finder

Hi @venkatasri ,

Thanks for the alternative outputs configuration.  I was wondering is it possible to do what I tried to do in my output configuration.

Keep sending to indx1 and switch to indx2 only if indx1 is down and then switch back when indx1 comes back online.  (Not loadbalancing)

Thanks,

Termcap

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
Hi
if I recall right there is no option to do that as you want to use second group as fallback address. The Splunk way is to use several host on output stanza or even better if you can use indexer discovery for getting current working indexers.
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.2.0/Indexer/indexerdiscovery
r. Ismo
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...