Deployment Architecture
Highlighted

Search Head Clustering Question

Explorer

Hi,
I currently have a standalone Search Head and I will soon be deploying a search Head Cluster using 3 different machines. Before deploying the Cluster, Do I need to first remove the Standalone Search Head? I am planning to use the Standalone Search Head as the Deployer to push the configs to Cluster Members. Also, can I move the user accounts from Current search Head into to the cluster?

Thanks,
Joseph

0 Karma
Highlighted

Re: Search Head Clustering Question

Motivator

Hi,

Here's the process for setting up a SHC.

First: Pick a deployer and this should be the first box to setup
Second: Initialize SHC member by telling them who the boss is (Deployer)
Third: Elect a captain

you can export all the views,searches etc from different app contexts from your existing search to be on safe side.

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.2.3/DistSearch/PropagateSHCconfigurationchanges

Hope this helps!
Thanks,
Raghav

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Explorer

Thanks for your response.SO, Can both a Standalone Search Head and a Search Head Cluster co-exist in the same environment?

Thanks

0 Karma
Highlighted

Contributor

Yes standalone and SH cluster can co exist. But the knowledge objects,users and roles will be limited to SHC or standalone depending where they exist. You cannot use the knowledge objects created on Standalone in SHC and vice versa.

0 Karma
Highlighted

Explorer

Thanks.....

0 Karma
Highlighted

Motivator

Didn't understand your question. Are you talking about having two separate instances?If yes, you can have 100s of instances as long as the SHC member is not part of another distributed search (Which is not possible by the way)

0 Karma
Highlighted

Explorer

I was thinking about having a standalone search head and a cluster at the same time. I am planning to migrate to Search Head Cluster and I want to maintain a Backup Search Head (standalone) until I verify that the cluster is working fine.

0 Karma
Highlighted

Motivator

Absolutely! That is quite possible

0 Karma
Highlighted

Explorer

Thankyou..

0 Karma
Highlighted

Path Finder

I have a question here. If all the search heads are same, do we still need to setup deployer before initializing SHC member?

0 Karma