Deployment Architecture

Quick poll: Anyone using ext4? Have you run into any issues?

Lowell
Super Champion

I'm planning on migrating Splunk instance to new hardware and will be upgrading the OS at the same time, and I'd like to move to "ext4" due to the extent-based file allocation, online fragmentation capabilities, and so on.

There's been a couple questions about ext4 on this site and per splunk support there is still no official "ext4" support yet as of Splunk 4.2.3, so I figured I'd see if anyone in the community has any experience on this.

If you're using ext4 I'd love to know about it.

Please include the following: (Additional details welcomed)

• Linux distro:
  • Kernel version:
  • Splunk version:
  • Comments: (Works well / has problems / is it notably faster or slower?)
Tags (2)
0 Karma

mdonnelly_splun
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

For those who stumble across this query - the list of supported file systems now includes EXT4.

The complete list of supported file systems is found here:

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Installation/Systemrequirements

0 Karma

dwaddle
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Lowell, I run ext4 on my 4.2.1 test instance on Ubuntu lucid. But, being it's strictly used for app development and config shakeouts I can't give any positive or negative comments on performance. In terms of basic functionality, Splunk seems to run just fine.

0 Karma

timothy_e_rabor
Explorer

I'm in the same boat as you and was hoping to see an answer here. I'm moving forward and hope I don't have to downgrade. Maybe I'll have some results to post in the next few days.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...