Deployment Architecture

Normal User role to access and add Data Inputs in Search Head Server

anandhalagarasa
Path Finder

Hi Team,

I have recently installed (https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/1546/#/overview) this app in our search head. But as an admin I can able to navigate to Settings-->Data Inputs-->REST and I can able to provide the inputs.

But as a user role couldn't able to view the Data Inputs itself and he couldn't able to add the Data Inputs in REST API.

So for a user how come we need to provide access to add their Data Inputs in REST API.

Kindly help on this request.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Try to assign following capabilities to your user role.

edit_monitor - for "Add Data" option show up in the settings menu.
indexes_edit -for users index name show up in the Indexes drop down when uploading the file.
edit_tcp - for actual file upload
search - for previewing the uploaded file.

Please note that a regular user can setup monitoring/upload a huge file, which may have sensitive data and consume a chunk of license. (that's probably the reason they leave the data upload to admins).

0 Karma

anandhalagarasa
Path Finder

Thanks for your response.

As mentioned I have added the below stanza for the user role.

edit_tcp = enabled
edit_monitor = enabled
indexes_edit = enabled
search = enabled

And now I can able to see the Data Inputs in the user role with Local inputs .

Under Local Inputs i can able to see a option as Type in that i can able to see "Files & Directories" & "TCP" but I couldn't able to find "REST" in the same.

So what needs to be done so that "REST" is also visible under Local Inputs for user role too.

0 Karma

anandhalagarasa
Path Finder

Also i have added the following stanza into it but still REST is not visible so kindly help on this.

edit_rest = enabled

0 Karma

harsmarvania57
Ultra Champion

Based on my answe if you give admin_all_objects then only it will available to end user which is not recommended.

0 Karma

harsmarvania57
Ultra Champion

Hi @anandhalagarasan,

For testing purpose I have created new role and imported user role and try to assign different capabilities and found that only admin_all_objects capability will allow this and I'll not recommend you to assign this capability for end user because that capability will enable many more feature.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...