Deployment Architecture

Is Splunk a good tool for... Merging Weather Forecasts with real time instruments for analysis?

RobertK2
Engager

Hello All... 1st time visitor.

Strong community here!

Forecast Temperature, Wind Chill, Sunny/Hazy/Cloudy Factors, Humidity data is available by API... no problem.

Instrumentation data is also available by API... no problem again.

So is Splunk a good tool for looking at two very different data silos to measure, compare, model and predict?

I know that's kind of vague... so a good vague answer would still be greatly appreciated! 

😉

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @RobertK2,

it's a plesure to know you, that maintain a little of your Italianness.

Anyway, the only thing I can tell you is that Splunk is addictive: if you start, you never stop!

In particular for the simplicity with which you can do everything and right away.

Then it is up to your ability and structure to do them well, in fact the great gift but also the greatest risk is to do things quickly.

You will find in the community many good people and a lot of help when you need it.

Ciao and Happy splunking.

Giuseppe

P.S. For the community, please accept the answer if you're satisfied and Karma Points are appreciated 😉

View solution in original post

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @RobertK2,

You are asking the innkeeper if the wine is good!

The answer can only be one: excellent and abundant!

Seriously, Splunk is an exceptional tool for correlating data from different and heterogeneous sources, such as the ones you mentioned, especially when the monitoring you want to do is in real time as it does not have the problems of DBs.

Furthermore, thanks to Machine Learning, it has excellent prediction features.

In addition to this, I suggest you watch some explanatory videos on YouTube that can clarify your ideas.

The only suggestion I can give you is to look at Splunk abandoning the preconceptions of the past: Splunk is not a DB and does not think like a DB, Splunk is an extremely advanced search engine with exceptional ability to ingest and parse sources (even heterogeneous) , correlation of data and presentation of data in different ways to adapt to users: in other words, it allows both high-level views for management and very low-level views for technicians and operators.

I could go on until tomorrow but I think you better get a demo (possibly targeted) by a Splunk Partner.

If you're in Italy, I propose myself, otherwise happy splunking.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

RobertK2
Engager

I'll try again today... the ability to reply to you the next morning -- failed... but I saved it as a draft in an email -- pasting now.

Hi Giuseppe,

Not in Italy but a dual citizen of Italy and USA... 😉

Thanks for laying out the differences. Your reply was exactly what I was hoping and looking for...

Just what are Splunk's inherent differences and strengths. 

After reading your reply I went Splunking a bit on the website.

I am semi-stunned that most of the Fez wearing Trust members have heavy backgrounds in IT security. 

Is IT security Splunk's "sweet spot"?

Thanks for your great reply!

Le brave persone sono difficili da trovare!

Best!

Robert 

Splunk versus Elastic

An Unexpected Error has occurred.

Your request failed. Please contact your system administrator and provide the date and time you received the error and this Exception ID: 37FF74E2.

Click your browser's Back button to continue.

Return to my original page

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @RobertK2,

it's a plesure to know you, that maintain a little of your Italianness.

Anyway, the only thing I can tell you is that Splunk is addictive: if you start, you never stop!

In particular for the simplicity with which you can do everything and right away.

Then it is up to your ability and structure to do them well, in fact the great gift but also the greatest risk is to do things quickly.

You will find in the community many good people and a lot of help when you need it.

Ciao and Happy splunking.

Giuseppe

P.S. For the community, please accept the answer if you're satisfied and Karma Points are appreciated 😉

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...