Deployment Architecture

IIS10 and Log Field Extraction - What to use

shocko
Contributor

I have some MS IIS 10 instances and I'm ingesting the IIS logs in WSC format from them. I have installed the Splunk Addon For Microsoft IIS  on my search head and both indexers. I set the sourcetype for my inputs to ms:iis:auto. The logs are being ingested but the fields are not being extracted at index time. So, I tried setting the sourcetype to ms:iis:default:85 some fields are extracted but with incorrect filed name. This seems to be due to the fact that the default fields are those for IIS 8.5 and in 10 some are not there by default (s-sitename for example).

It seems I would have to tell it what fields I'm using as per Configure field transformations in the Splunk Add-on for Microsoft IIS - Splunk Documentation for the search time extractions to work but not all my IIS servers have the same logging setup. Furthermore, I'd like index time field extraction but that does not seem to work. 

This TA is quite old (2020 last update) so I'm wondering is there a better/easier way to do this for IIS 10 ?

Labels (1)
0 Karma

shocko
Contributor

Setting sourcetype=iis seems to work and fields now being extracted correctly! Is this a built-in sourcetype? How does it compare to the sourcetypes in the Splunk Add-On for Microsoft IIS ?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...