Deployment Architecture

I need to write a query to to report on all last logon times for users that logged into any linux in our environment. What am I doing wrong?

dylan_yoder

The query I wrote doesn't seem to work as expected. The time stamp is missing under the logon_time column next to the corresponding listed users and the users in the user column show many duplicate occurrences (example: 20+ root logons) instead of a single entry of the last logon of that account on that specific host.

sourcetype=linux_secure source="/var/log/secure" (user=* OR ruser=*) ("Accepted Publickey" OR "session opened" OR "Accepted password")
| stats list(user) as User, list(ruser) as "Remote User", list(latest(eval(if(action==success,_time, null())))) as logon_time by host
| eval logon_time=if(isint(logon_time),strftime(logon_time, "%b %d, %I:%M %p"), logon_time)
| sort –count
0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try like this

sourcetype=linux_secure source="/var/log/secure" (user=* OR ruser=*) ("Accepted Publickey" OR "session opened" OR "Accepted password") |  eval logon_time =if(action==success,_time, null()) | stats values(logon_time ) as logon_time by host user ruser | eval logon_time=mvindex(logon_time,-1)  | eval logon_time=if(isint(logon_time),strftime(logon_time, "%b %d, %I:%M %p"), logon_time) | stats list(user) as User, list(ruser) as "Remote User", list(logon_time) as logon_time by host

Update

This should give you latest logon for each (unique) user per host.

sourcetype=linux_secure source="/var/log/secure" (user=* OR ruser=*) ("Accepted Publickey" OR "session opened" OR "Accepted password") |  eval logon_time =if(action==success,_time, null()) | stats latest(logon_time) as logon_time by host user ruser | eval logon_time=if(isint(logon_time),strftime(logon_time, "%b %d, %I:%M %p"), logon_time)

If you want to group users and their corresponding logon time based on host, then you can add following to above search

| stats list(*) as * by host
0 Karma

dylan_yoder

I ended up using the following queries to get the desired results

sourcetype=linux_secure user=* ("Accepted Publickey" OR "session opened" OR "Accepted password")
| stats latest(eval(if(vendor_action="session opened",_time, null()))) as logon_time by host user
| eval logon_time=if(isint(logon_time),strftime(logon_time, "%b %d, %I:%M %p"), logon_time)
| sort –count
| stats list(user) as user, list(logon_time) as logon_time by host

OR

sourcetype=linux_secure source="/var/log/secure" (user=* OR ruser=*) ("Accepted Publickey" OR "session opened" OR "Accepted password") |  eval logon_time =if(action="success",_time, null()) | stats latest(logon_time) as logon_time by host user  | eval logon_time=if(isint(logon_time),strftime(logon_time, "%b %d, %I:%M %p"), logon_time) |  stats list(*) as * by host | sort -logon_time

Both seemed to work.

0 Karma

dylan_yoder

That didn't seem to work for me unfortunately. Nothing resolved at all. I need it to show the latest/most recent logon event for the individual/unique user listed by Linux host.

0 Karma

dylan_yoder

Thanks that helped!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...