Deployment Architecture

How to save a certain index to different location on an indexer (not the whole SPLUNK_DB)?

pashtet13

I have few noisy indexes that I would like to save to another drive on the Splunk Indexer server. What would be the best way to do it? Splunk documentation only has instructions on how to move the whole SPLUNK_DB, but I don't need that...

Should I create a new variable in splunk-launch.conf (say SPLUNK_DB_TIER2) and update my indexes.conf so it looks like this (and will this work?):

[cisco_asa]
coldPath = $SPLUNK_DB_TIER2\cisco_asa\colddb
homePath = $SPLUNK_DB_TIER2\cisco_asa\db
thawedPath = $SPLUNK_DB_TIER2\cisco_asa\thaweddb

Or can I manually specify the path in indexes.conf without using $ SPLUNK_DB like this:

coldPath = "D:\cisco_asa\colddb"
homePath = "D:\cisco_asa\db"
thawedPath = "D:\cisco_asa\thaweddb"
0 Karma
1 Solution

somesoni2
Revered Legend

If it's just one index you want to move to separate drive, then I would suggest to enter absolute/actual new path for that index in the indexes.conf.

[cisco_asa]
coldPath = D:\cisco_asa\colddb
homePath = D:\cisco_asa\db
thawedPath = D:\cisco_asa\thaweddb
...other settings...

If you want to create a variable/token to refer this large drive, the you can create volume reference and use that for bigger/chattier indexes, like this

[volume:large_indexes]
path = D:\SplunkDb
maxVolumeDataSizeMB = 50000000  #optional, or update per your size

[cisco_asa]
coldPath = volume:large_indexes\cisco_asa\colddb
homePath = volume:large_indexes\cisco_asa\db
thawedPath = volume:large_indexes\cisco_asa\thaweddb
...other settings...

View solution in original post

somesoni2
Revered Legend

If it's just one index you want to move to separate drive, then I would suggest to enter absolute/actual new path for that index in the indexes.conf.

[cisco_asa]
coldPath = D:\cisco_asa\colddb
homePath = D:\cisco_asa\db
thawedPath = D:\cisco_asa\thaweddb
...other settings...

If you want to create a variable/token to refer this large drive, the you can create volume reference and use that for bigger/chattier indexes, like this

[volume:large_indexes]
path = D:\SplunkDb
maxVolumeDataSizeMB = 50000000  #optional, or update per your size

[cisco_asa]
coldPath = volume:large_indexes\cisco_asa\colddb
homePath = volume:large_indexes\cisco_asa\db
thawedPath = volume:large_indexes\cisco_asa\thaweddb
...other settings...

pashtet13

Great, thanks!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...