Deployment Architecture

How to forward data logs from Linux to Splunk?

Dijanad

We recently purchased the managed splunk cloud instance, I am in the process of adding data. We would like to index our db2diag logs which are sitting on the Linux servers. I went though the process of installing the forwarder and forwarder credentials. Now I am at a loss on how to tell the forwarder what logs to forward to splunk? With the managed splunk cloud instance, you can't do it through the Add Data button. I do have the monitoring console app, and I see the new Linux forwarder there. But I don't see an option there to manipulate the forwarder in any way. Do I have to configure the forwarder inputs on the Linux server?

Also when I look at the monitoring console app, I see the universal forwarder and the heavy forwarder there. But we only installed universal. Is that am installation default?

0 Karma

Dijanad

So we have splunk cloud. So that seems to work different. What I see is that you have to use splunk web to configure forwarders for the cloud version. Is that correct?

0 Karma

Dijanad

The inputs.conf That has to be written on the unix server. There isn't a gui to manage forwarders?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer at Splunk .conf24 ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...